Is this possible for a future version of vlite?

dsro

I'm writing this as a scenario, since I don't know how to explain it.

Someone that has ultimate clicks on a button in vlite that would make only the features of home basic install if he/she clicked next and let vlite do its thing. The person then adds additional features, features found only in ultimate, features that the person has a right to have since he/she owns ultimate, to his/her install (when installed, the os would be recognized as ultimate). The os would not be bloated since it is the home basic install (with a few changes so that it is recognized as ultimate), but with all the extra ultimate features he/she wants.

So:

home basic -> ultimate

home basic -> home premium

business -> ultimate

(enterprise is not found on the regular disk, right?)

This would only work though if an install of home basic can be recognized as ultimate, so say if it can be so this topic can just end if it cannot happen. I was thinking of a home basic install with all the games (including the ultimate extra games), and some of the major security features of the business installs. I believe it would be easy since vlite already removes some of the big features found in ultimate. It would just be a process of installing what vlite already can remove when it sees an ultimate install.

Here's a good comparison matrix at:

http://www.mydigitallife.info/2007/01/27/w...son-and-matrix/

Edited by dsro

Let me simplify that...how about presets to remove components which are added extra in Ultimate to shape it like a Home edition and that's all, why remove all then put back (which is impossible without signed packages).

And on top of all why would you limit yourself to Home Edition for example, remove what you don't need, no more no less.

I thought this way would be more thorough.

- there might be stuff you don't know how to remove (not questioning your abilities)

- there might be features that you know exist, but don't know how to find in order for them to be removed

- there might be features that microsoft stuck into ultimate that it did not advertise because they are insignificant but still take up space when installed

- there might be better versions of a feature in vista that people don't really need a better version of that you so far only remove rather than downgrade

- there might be features that are difficult to remove that you won't waste your time removing, but would be nice if removed anyway

and i thought this might be faster, since you already removed all the big stuff, it would be easier to go forwards (from home basic -> ultimate). people can just add what you already know how to remove.

but since it won't work, at least thanks for reading through the post.

Edited by dsro

I'm writing this as a scenario, since I don't know how to explain it.

Someone that has ultimate clicks on a button in vlite that would make only the features of home basic install if he/she clicked next and let vlite do its thing. The person then adds additional features, features found only in ultimate, features that the person has a right to have since he/she owns ultimate, to his/her install (when installed, the os would be recognized as ultimate). The os would not be bloated since it is the home basic install (with a few changes so that it is recognized as ultimate), but with all the extra ultimate features he/she wants.

So:

home basic -> ultimate

home basic -> home premium

business -> ultimate

(enterprise is not found on the regular disk, right?)

This would only work though if an install of home basic can be recognized as ultimate, so say if it can be so this topic can just end if it cannot happen. I was thinking of a home basic install with all the games (including the ultimate extra games), and some of the major security features of the business installs. I believe it would be easy since vlite already removes some of the big features found in ultimate. It would just be a process of installing what vlite already can remove when it sees an ultimate install.

Here's a good comparison matrix at:

http://www.mydigitallife.info/2007/01/27/w...son-and-matrix/

I am wanting to do the same for this reason. I own Ultimate Edition and I have 3 kids with computers running Vista Home Basic. I would like to take my Ultimate Edition dvd and make a Vista Home Basic with Remote Desktop added to it. I need to be able to use the remote desktop feature and the Vista Home Basic doesn't have it. So, can an image be made from the Ultimate DVD to include remote desktop and use the Vista Home Basic product key...?

Thanks,

Edited by 5DollaHo

5DollaHo, not possible. As I said only way would be to remove what you don't want from the Ultimate. With time the selection will be more detailed.

Then, only then maybe I'll put presets to mimic Home edition, but you will still have Ultimate, it will only have components as Home, which in essence is Home + less limitations.

Well, I just tried my theory out and here is what I have. I made a Home Basic install from my Ultimate dvd, I added several features that aren't in Home Basic (i.e Remote Desktop) and used my Home Basic product key to install. The key works just fine, but the remote desktop still doesn't come up. Is this because of the key I used or am I doing something wrong...?

Well, I just tried my theory out and here is what I have. I made a Home Basic install from my Ultimate dvd, I added several features that aren't in Home Basic (i.e Remote Desktop) and used my Home Basic product key to install. The key works just fine, but the remote desktop still doesn't come up. Is this because of the key I used or am I doing something wrong...?

Well if i read it well .. The moderator just explained that programs would have to be singed to be able to install..Nlite does not do anything with the licence or activation part..you will need a dvd and activation code for yourself to work with vista ..