Which XP cd do I need?

jdgordon

hey all,

I'm trying to make a windows sp2 cd so i can reinstall my laptop (The recovery partition is full of the usual crap which we dont need, and doesnt even have SP1...)

The sticker under the laptop says:

Windows XP Professional 1-2CPU

IBM Corporation

Prdouct KEY : xxx......

I have tried this key in a pro retail and pro oem cd and neither will accept it..

Does anyone know what cd I need?

If you are using a HP-Compaq Laptop, AFAIK, you need the Recovery partition to install XP... If the partition is gone, I guess there are some key combinations that u need to use wen installing from the OEM CD to install XP...

I am not sure about the other methods though... Cud u please explain wats happening wen you try to install it....

Most COA stickers on side of computers installed with OEM versions of windows (Dell, HP, Compaq to name a few) are not usable numbers.

In the case of Dell, which I am most familiar with, you would have to get a copy of the media from them. The actual CD Key used for installation is on a winnt.sif file, and will only work on Dell computers.

You're best bet may be to contact the maker of the computer to see if they can provide you with a new copy of the OS media for recovery.

Most COA stickers are usable however they will not preactivate and will activate only by telephone. Some folks report that Microsoft won't activate their keys any more for any number of problems including because they've been used too many times and because they are being used on hardware different than issued with. Those keys are a big hassle and should be avoided. The OEM didn't use the key on the side of the case and you don't want to either. Here are the instructions that show you how to make the same no hassle install CD that the OEM used for any brand:

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=63258

>You're best bet may be to contact the maker of the computer to see if they can provide you with a new copy of the OS media for recovery.

He doesn't want the recovery disk which is outdated and full of crapware. He wants the install without the OEM crap and Dell is one of the few companies that provide one and it raises their prices to be able to provide it. The recovery partition has all the special IBM info needed to produce the IBM CD from a standard CD.