Latest Windows Genuine Advantage Notification (KB905474) is out

i saw today that wu is installing KB905474 resposible for WGA notifications in the computer. i suppose it can be installed through RunOnceEx with the switch /passive /norestart /overwriteoem /nobackup

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=905474

wondering abt the difference between WGA validation tool(KB892130) and WGA notification tool(KB905474).

wondering abt the difference between WGA validation tool(KB892130) and WGA notification tool(KB905474).

the WGA notification tool shows popups when you use a non genuine Windows. This new version comes with some cheap trial of napster if you have a genuine windows. This should help to prevent piracy.

what u mean is installing the patch would collect the ip and serial keys, send it to m$ and if found non-legit, they would blacklist it right?

is that very soon we can expect, so called "non legit" keys which stayed behind to survive, would be disabled and those users would be forced to go for legit copies?

any info or issues on the consequence of installing it?

Edited by rajesh.kumar

I think I'm detecting a guilty conscience here. In the past you were just blocked from getting or installing future updates. And recently would get annoying popup windows that you were running unauthorized copies of windows and I think they gave you 30 or 60 days after that to be legit. What they will do in the future is not known. They have probably use this information in the past to crack down on companies selling the illegal licenses also.

Read the EULA when the new WGA installs. Right at the top it says it collects the IP and CD Key (Product Key). According to official reports they weren't collecting the CD key before. Why might they do this and place it right at the top for all us click-throughs to see? What are they going to do with that data that needs such hardening against class action lawsuits? This is all speculation.

Think of a company who's VLK key hasn't escaped or has escaped but is tightly guarded. The reports will primarily come from one IP address, maybe a few others from people who have taken the key home or are traveling. Think of a University VLK key that has traveled around the state and beyond. If it hadn't traveled around the state the reports will come in from a large set of similar IP's. If it has it will come from an even larger set of very different IPS. Geolocating the IP's will help tell how far the spread is. Microsoft reviews the license with the institution and blacklists the key if the spread is too wide. Now that Vista is out and XP is pretty much dead shouldn't those institutions be giving out Vista VLK keys which are checked by a KMS server. The institution might choose to have the key blacklisted when presented with the additional bill for all the verified installations. Every time you reinstall and change the hash and report with the new WGA the institution potentially pays for another license.

"You've paid for 100,000 installations and we have verified 250,000 installations. The additional bill will be $"

"Go ahead and blacklist the key. We'll just reissue, and we would like to order some Vista keys. They are secure right?"

It's all speculation so all I'm saying is that I've imagined a possible way that Microsoft could kill large numbers of VLK installations. A few still associated with the institution will get a new key and it may not be free. These might be some of those WGA screws that Balmer is tightening trying to push his crapware.

This new WGA is collecting the CD Keys and IP addresses

What would be really evil/impressive is that MS contacts the owner of the VLK and asks them "Do you guys own a computer out in Springfield, MA" and when the owner says no, they invalidate JUST that one PC. But to be realistic, the goal of this would be to looked for VLKs that have leaked online and shutdown mass deployment of stolen VLKs. MS doesn't care about one single PC that might be using a VLK from your job, it's too small on their radar.

Edited by travisowens

I don't see any reason to install it, I'm using a Toshiba laptop so it's just royalty oem activation so why would they need any information about my pc? Unless I need it to install anything, it will just be wasting resources in the background.

Wga doesn't run in background once (or "when", excuse for my language) windows is genuine'd

Wga doesn't run in background once (or "when", excuse for my language) windows is genuine'd

The previous version use to run once every two weeks, even after you have been verified.

It attaches to WinLogon so it doesn't show up as an extra task. It runs all the time. It isn't needed after the first run so it can be removed with XP Antispy. It will be reinstalled from time to time by Windows Update and when you need pass Genuine for a download at microsoft.com.

So this really sucks when you have 3 or 4 VLK's and used one with your Unattended DVD install project right? Because we have like 3 or 4 VLK's for Windows XP Professional (each for say 10 copies) but I use one of the key's with the DVD but since last week I get this WGA notification bugging me that it's not legal :blushing:

Or could I change cd key after the installer has finished? Like a question the first time you logon? I really would like the darn thing to ask me for the CD key and the computer name the first time I logon (after all software is installed).

• 2 months later...

What has any of this got to do with Unattended Windows 2000/XP/2003

I came here thinking the switches to install this nasty thing would be here,

I don't want this hotfix saying it is required on Windows Update.

I guess I will just have to try a few things, like cabbing the DLL and adding

the line to TXTSETUP.SIF. Then the LegitCheckControl.dll also will need

registering.

dosnet.inf

d1,LegitCheckControl.DLL

txtsetup.sif

LegitCheckControl.DLL = 100,,,,,,,2,0,0

Register the DLL

regsvr32.exe /S %SystemRoot%\system32\LegitCheckControl.dll

Edited by LeveL