Vista questions

jjonsalt

OK, I picked up Vista Ultimate (Upgrade) at Staples yesterday. I'm still confused/uncertain about some points and wonder if perhaps I should just return it (it's unopened). I checked at Microsoft's site and it says the new OS will install over my current XP Media Edition. I ran the Vista Upgrade Advisor and there are some issues. I have to uninstall my NeroVision program. I'm hopeing Ultimate comes with a CD/DVD burn program. Also, it appears I can't run my antivirus program, BitDefender, as is. I'm in touch with BitDefender with questions about a version that will work and how to upgrade to it. I guess Ultimate's program will protect me until I hear back from BitDefender. My HP PhotoSmart 7960 printer will not work with Ultimate and HP does not have a driver yet. I don't know how long it will be before I can use my HP printer, but, I do have another printer connected (Epson R2400) so it's not like I will be hurting there for awhile. The OS box says that both 32 and 64 bit DVDs are included, I have no idea which to run. And, should/could I do a fresh install instead of installing over my XP program? I have my Documents and Pictures saved on an external hard drive. I guess I should mention that I have 3 internal hard drives, 2 160GB drives that are currently set as RAID 0, and an 80GB hard drive that I use only as my scratch disc. I can and have, in the past, reinstalled my programs if a fresh install is best. I realize that there are a lot of questions here, but would appricaite any and all help. Thanks. Oh, one reason I was thinking about a clean install is because there is a Trojan that BitDefender can not remove in a file. It appeared using my old antivirus program, PC-Cillin.

I would recomend a full install, I tried to do an update on my system and it would not finish, after dong a clean install it worked fine, only issue you may have is seting up the RAID if you do not have any text mode drivers if Vista doesn't see it. as for Anti Virus there are ones out there that you can use until bitdefender has a working one for Vista. Nero also should have a compatable version for Vista out already. As far as the Printer, I also have an HP AIO that doesn't have any drivers but the printer works fine with the drivers provided by Vista. MY model Number is a 5510xi. I would stick with the 32bit ver. for now as there are not that many apps out for 64 yet.

Regards

Vibr4x

• 1 month later...
OK, I picked up Vista Ultimate (Upgrade) at Staples yesterday. I'm still confused/uncertain about some points and wonder if perhaps I should just return it (it's unopened). I checked at Microsoft's site and it says the new OS will install over my current XP Media Edition. I ran the Vista Upgrade Advisor and there are some issues. I have to uninstall my NeroVision program. I'm hopeing Ultimate comes with a CD/DVD burn program. Also, it appears I can't run my antivirus program, BitDefender, as is. I'm in touch with BitDefender with questions about a version that will work and how to upgrade to it. I guess Ultimate's program will protect me until I hear back from BitDefender. My HP PhotoSmart 7960 printer will not work with Ultimate and HP does not have a driver yet. I don't know how long it will be before I can use my HP printer, but, I do have another printer connected (Epson R2400) so it's not like I will be hurting there for awhile. The OS box says that both 32 and 64 bit DVDs are included, I have no idea which to run. And, should/could I do a fresh install instead of installing over my XP program? I have my Documents and Pictures saved on an external hard drive. I guess I should mention that I have 3 internal hard drives, 2 160GB drives that are currently set as RAID 0, and an 80GB hard drive that I use only as my scratch disc. I can and have, in the past, reinstalled my programs if a fresh install is best. I realize that there are a lot of questions here, but would appricaite any and all help. Thanks. Oh, one reason I was thinking about a clean install is because there is a Trojan that BitDefender can not remove in a file. It appeared using my old antivirus program, PC-Cillin.

1. Stick with 32 bit unless you have over 4GB and must use it, and then switch to 64 bit.

2. I'd reformat and install from scratch; save your data!

3. I'm not in favor of RAID0, but if you must, be sure you've got your drivers available if Vista doesn't natively support the RAID 'card' you have.

4. There are plenty of (free) Vista AV programs, so I think you should be OK there.

5. Ultimate has a (basic) burner software included with it.

6. Can't comment directly on the printer, but most remotely modern HP printers are supported, at least somewhat, with inbox drivers in Vista.