2 issues: my pictures slideshow & search for people

E-66

I've been installing XP a lot lately trying to get a setup I'm happy with. I always choose to have screen savers removed (which would include the 'my pictures slideshow'), and also the 'search for people' from search, and I always nLite a fresh XP source directory. For reasons I haven't been able to figure out, those two items are removed sometimes, and other times not. I realize that if they're not I can simply delete the particular .scr file and remove all registry occurences of the people search, but I was wondering if anyone had any insight into why they only get removed some of the time.

Edited by E-66

I don't understand what you mean? When I said that I always nLite a fresh XP source directory I meant a fresh copy of the XP Pro CD contents, as opposed to trying to nLite an already nLited source as I've seen several people post about. The HDD gets formatted prior to install as well.

E-66, tweak to hide 'search for people' sometimes not working I could swallow but screen savers sometimes not removed even if selected I can't.

I'm afraid without definite instruction how to duplicate that there is nothing I can do.

Or you're saying only that one screen saver remains? What's the exact file name please?

Nuhi, normally when I tick the option to remove the screen savers it removes all of them them except the 'blank' option (scrnsave.scr), and I'm fine with that because that's the one I actually use, but sometimes it will leave behind the my 'pictures slideshow' option as well (ssmypics.scr). I realize I can just delete that file manually afterwards... but could I also add it to the list of 'Additional Files To Remove' in the Component Removal section?

Is the 'search for people' option related to the Windows Address Book? I don't think there's an option to remove that by itself, is there? I haven't removed Outlook Express in any of my nLited installs, but is there an address book removal option that I may have ticked before that I'm overlooking now?

Edited by E-66

Checked it and it protects that screen saver if Windows Image Acquisition (WIA) is kept...weird I must say...gonna remove it from that protection.

Nice catch.

There is "Remove Search For People from Search" tweak.

Cool, glad you found the source of the issue.

Yes, I know. and I've always selected it in each nLite operation I've done. Sometimes it removes it and sometimes it doesn't.

Cool, glad you found the source of the issue.
Yes, I know. and I've always selected it in each nLite operation I've done. Sometimes it removes it and sometimes it doesn't.

'Search for people' is in %ProgramFiles%\Outlook Express\wabfind.dll. I bet that dll gets registered by windows anyway.

GL