Can I use WAIK to image my vista installation

chimpy33

Can I use WAIK to create an image installation?

Sorry if this is a bit simple for anyone to answer.

Basically I've installed my version of Vista using vLite, got all the services I want and dont want running, installed basically all the apps I will realistically use in the near future and have everything running nicely.

And I dont want to loose this state!

I've got the disk space on an external 400gb drive, so I thought it would be good to have an image of everything working well, so in 6-12 months, when windows begins to get to a crawl, I can just revert to an image quicker than reinstalling.

I dont own any ghosting software, so wondered if creating a .wim would be the best way of doing this? I've downloaded but not installed WAIK.

I only have Vista Home Premium so imaging isnt a standard feature of the OS.

Is it possible?

Cheers

d

• 2 weeks later...

Id like to know this too, seems that MS are starting to put a few companies out of business by including everything youd need in the OS....

Norton has some serious competition since a WinPE disk can be far more flexible than a Ghost disk.

Anyone got any numbers to do with how fast you can write an image from hard disk to hard disk? Only had a chance to do it over gig ethernet so far.

Id like to know this too, seems that MS are starting to put a few companies out of business by including everything youd need in the OS....

Norton has some serious competition since a WinPE disk can be far more flexible than a Ghost disk.

Anyone got any numbers to do with how fast you can write an image from hard disk to hard disk? Only had a chance to do it over gig ethernet so far.

Since installing Vista Ultimate, I've backed it up several times using my Ghost 2003 boot disk (floppy or CD, makes no difference). It Works like a charm. :thumbup

Me :ph34r: