How do I get my USB memory stick to install SATA drivers during Win XP

Sgt_Strider

You know when you're installing Windows XP, there is that option to press "F6" to load RAID or SATA drivers. How can I get my USB memory stick to be detected so that my SATA drivers will be loaded and installed? Thanks!

Edit: My motherboard supports USB flash drive booting so no need to remind me of this!

Edited by Sgt_Strider

As far as I was aware XP's setup itself will only detect floppy disks and cd-roms for the F6 functionality, so it wouldnt matter if your mboard had usb bootable functionality or not XP wont detect it becauser it doesnt have a USB driver loaded when setup runs.

Hmmm....

Even though the motherboard supports flash drive booting, it doesnt mean that XP Setup will automatically see it though. I have seen it appear as another drive [when you come to repartitioning section of setup for example] on some systems, and on some I havent - where all of these systems support USB flash drive booting.

It may sound silly but try placing the files at the root of the USB flash drive, plug the drive into one of the usb slots that are at the back of the motherboard and nearest to the PS2 connections [dont ask me why, but its woth a shot] and then turn on the computer and see if thats any better.

Also, flashing your BIOS to the latest version may help the USB flash drive support.

Of course, one of the best ways would be to slipstream drivers into your XP CD instead as mentioned in the above posts ;)

Regards

Nath.

I'm crossing my fingers that SP3 will add this feature to the installer (obviously you'll have to slipstream SP3 into your install CD) but considering MS's track record of not adding new features to older OSes, I'm not holding my breathe. Not to mention that SP3 isn't for another 6 months :(

Edited by travisowens