Why do I have two Administrator folders?

LazyBoy

In Document and Settings folder I have two folders named Administrator and Administrator.PC-000

PC-000 is the name of the computer. I can't delete this folder and the folder name stays the same after I renamed my computer to PC-01. Instead of Administrator.PC-01, it's still Administrator.PC-000.

When I log in though, it's with the account Administrator, Administrator.PC-000 is not in the user name folder.

Is there a way to delete it?

Logon as the Administrator, right-click My Computer > Properties, click on the Advanced Tab, click on the Settings button within User Profiles. If the other Administrator account is mentioned, select it and click Delete.

This happens because you had an older installation of Windows XP that was using this folder, and then you made a new installation over it (not Upgrade) without formatting the partition (ie: You pressed L to delete the current windows installation during Textmode setup). So when the new installation tried to create a Administrator folder for the new "Administrator" account, it had to change the name to something else.

No, you cannot rename it and its name will not change with the name of the PC. The only safe way to do it is to create a new temorary account, copy needed files out of administrator folder and administrator.pc000, then delete them both, then create Administrator again and login to it, (or better, then create a new account, it is not wise to use "Administrator" imo as a normal account) and then copy back the stuff from the temp user to it and delete the temp user...

Of course, windows will not normally let you delete "Administrator", so you will have to do net user Administrator /DELETE and net user Administrator /ADD to add it back.

Edited by n7Epsilon

I saw this happen a lot when we would set up user accounts on a domain. Instead of having a local and domain account both in the docs and settings, we would modify the registry to point both at a singular doc and setting profile and delete the other. A few users would then install a program (usually an engineering program) that would start messing with this and start creating profiles with the .computername000, .computername001, etc... after the username.

Ultimately it drove me away from the reg edit that my old boss used and the discovery of cached credentials, which does the same thing basically.