HELP: Windows XP OPK woes....

dhruba.bandopadhyay

Am new to Windows XP OPK and I read the Step-by-step tutorial guide that came on the CD. It mentions about having 2 PCs, technician & master. Then it says to check whether the network card is listed on the Hardware Compatibility List (HCL). My built-in integrated Realtek is listed here at http://testedproducts.windowsmarketplace.c...56-e61103098860

So that should be fine. The documented stated procedure of using OPK is to run the OPK wizard on technician PC. I assume the technician PC hardware doesn't have to match the master PC hardware. The actual preinstallation is done on the master PC and the master PC's hardware will be taken into account of (for the HAL, etc).

The OPK wizard lets you to specify a list of 3rd-party programs that will be installed on the master PC during Audit-mode (automatic preinstallation). It requires you to specify the path of the 3rd-party programs to be from a "network share". Am very curious as to how the master PC will be able to access the 3rd-party programs if network card drivers hasn't been setup yet. From my knowledge, my Realtek network card required me to manually install the drivers after a fresh installation of Windows XP. Is it possible to burn the drivers & 3rd-party programs onto the Windows XP CD and specify the path to the CD-ROM?

When we specify the list of 3rd-party programs to be installed during Audit-mode, do we have to make sure the drivers (motherboard INF, graphics, network) are installed first before the 3rd-party programs if the 3rd-party programs are to be accessed via network share? What about the reboot required for drivers to work?

The entire OPK documentation assumed that the master PC will have a working network card upon Windows installation - for the automated 3rd-party program preinstallations. How does one get around this if his network card is unknown after Windows installation? Is the Factory-mode an alternative to installing the drivers & 3rd-party programs? Is Factory-mode as good as the automated 3rd-party program preinstallation?

• 1 month later...