AMD Too many Sockets, Which one

03GrandAmGT

Getting ready to build my first 64 type box and curious as to which AMD socket will be around for awhile AM2, 939, 754. I'am looking for upgrade flexibility, Minor OC'ing and support life. Will be using an Abit board as I have had the best luck with them in support and OC'ing.

TIA

John

Socket F!

Go on. Gooo ooonnn. It'll be fun! ;):D :D :D

Seriously though. Go AM2. It's the latest one, it'll do DDR2, and you'll have the highest number of potential upgrade options, especially where RAM is concerned.

Edited by Tanthalas

I'd agree with Tanthalas, Socket F would be lush but probably a bit pricey, AM2 will keep you going for a long time and is high performing.

However if you've bought no hardware yet, I'd recommend Intel C2D. Hell of a lot faster than anything AMD have to offer atm and reasonably priced as well. Just my 2p anyway.

I'd agree with Tanthalas, Socket F would be lush but probably a bit pricey

$2000 per processor, anyone? :o I'm saving up. :D

However if you've bought no hardware yet, I'd recommend Intel C2D. Hell of a lot faster than anything AMD have to offer atm and reasonably priced as well. Just my 2p anyway.

*Cough!* *Splutter!* HEATHEN!

Tanthalas

Has "Property of Advanced Micro Devices" tattooed on the inside of his eyelids.

Edited by Tanthalas

im also throwing out the suggestion of a C2D, they are just the best out right now. for 1000$ you can get a nice system that will play games at full settings. so i guess you need to tell us what you have/havnt bought already and what your budget is.

I have to agree with the others on the C2D. For 80$ more than the X2 3800+ you get a E6300 that can be OC'ed to 3.4GHz (making it faster than the 1000$ Core 2 Extreme X6800, and basically every Athlon64 at any price). Even at stock speed is still beats the 3800+ by a wide margin. 80$ extra over the price of a PC (~1000$ or so) is what, 8% extra, for a PC that'll be MUCH faster. Socket 775 is here for a while too (you'll be able to put quad cores on most socket 775 motherboards)

im also throwing out the suggestion of a C2D

Good man, the fact the thread is asking about AMD and not Intel. Don't you just love thread hijackers that change the original topic. fight for the little guy, do you want Intel to win only for prices to go straight back up? that's what will probable happen if AMD go bang

I have 4 AMD computers in this room - Benchmarks

AthlonXP 3200+ (Barton) skt A

Athlon64 3000+ (Winchester) skt 939

Sempron64 3000+ (Palermo) skt 754

Turon64 X2 TL50 (Taylor) skt S1

skt AM2 / S1

Dual Channel DDR2 - DDR2-667 maybe cheaper than DDR-400

AM3 processors will be able to run on Socket AM2 motherboard

skt 939

Supports dual channel memory DDR

Athlon64 x2's available

Possibly a cheaper alternative to a AM2 Athlon64 X2 system but still giving similar performance

AnandTech reported that Socket AM2 system performance was 0-7% faster than Socket 939 equivalents, with most applications about 2% faster [1][2], despite having over 30% greater memory bandwidth due to DDR2 support.

Skt 754

Only support single channel memory DDR

only Semprons avaliable for this platform now and a Sempron 3700+ costs around £200 :crazy:

PCI-Express v2.0 has been released to manufacturers so depending on what you want your now system for maybe worth waiting for AMD to release its now architecture and this would also enable motherboard manufacturers to integrate PCI-Express 2 into their boards.

I hope that helps :hello:

-----Update----

Im fully aware what Intel have out at the moment, I am a regular visitor of tomshardware.com

I have no money being a student to by build a new PC.

Edited by codejunkie

Good man, the fact the thread is asking about AMD and not Intel. Don't you just love thread hijackers that change the original topic. fight for the little guy, do you want Intel to win only for prices to go straight back up? that's what will probable happen if AMD go bang

Whoa whoa whoa... what's with the hostility here? ripken was providing an alternative, and I've got to say, I agree with him. Think about the topic itself for a second before ranting off about "thread hijackers".

The fact that AMD has 3 or 4 different socket configurations on the market right now is a VERY bad thing for buyers. AMD changed directions too many times recently, and quite frankly it's confused and annoyed customers (like the thread starter). I wouldn't buy and AMD system today for one good reason - upgradability, or lack thereof. People with S939 motherboards are pretty much screwed when it comes to upgrades, since AMD is making very limited numbers of new chips for those. Sure, AM2 is the new thing, but now socket F as well? Why, why why? Is it really necessary? People who want to upgrade need to do so with their motherboard and CPU.

Like crahak said, LGA775 is here to stay for a while. Buy a decent LGA775 motherboard and you'll be able to put just about anything in there. I built a system for my gf's parents. Total cost ~$500 USD (including tax). The great thing about it - C2D capable, DDR2, and PCI-Ex16. In a couple of years, when they choose to make the switch to Vista, they'll be able to put in a dual core CPU and a decent video card for not that much money, and the parts are still going to be readily available.

That all being said - to answer the original post - don't buy AMD right now. Until they've sorted out what platform they want to work with, buy yourself a nice Intel based motherboard and get a C2D E6300 or E6400. You definitely won't regret it.

Good man, the fact the thread is asking about AMD and not Intel. Don't you just love thread hijackers that change the original topic.

It's a thread about CPUs. It's not like he went really off topic. I see no reason to complain, he's just making suggestions - and good ones at that IMO. Perhaps he's not aware that Intel has some great stuff nowadays (no more netburst).

fight for the little guy, do you want Intel to win only for prices to go straight back up? that's what will probable happen if AMD go bang

If they price their products better and make them better than Intel's offerings as they used to be, then I will buy 'em again. That's the whole point of competition: you buy whatever is better or that is priced better, no matter who makes it. That way the other has to adapt. If everyone did like you, AMD wouldn't have to do those price cuts or improve their products at all because you'd still buy 'em.

If one TRULY wants to go AMD, AM2 is definitely the way to go. DDR2 is becoming cheaper than DDR (as DDR2 replaces DDR). But it's their current "mainstream" socket. It has the best CPU selection (including upcoming CPUs), and that's what most new (nice) boards use.

939 only has a single X2 CPU available: the 4600+ (and it's more expensive than a C2D E6300 that's much faster). It's the old socket (which did indeed use DDR). Unless you got tons of good DDR laying around that you can use on that and save money that way, there's not much reasons to pick this.

754 is/was the budget socket, which never caught on much, and the offerings for it (bunch of semprons - slow for the most part) suck.

I really wouldn't buy an AMD system right now personally...

Edited by crahak

Socket F!

Go on. Gooo ooonnn. It'll be fun!

Seriously though. Go AM2. It's the latest one, it'll do DDR2, and you'll have the highest number of potential upgrade options, especially where RAM is concerned.

@ Tanthalas

Yeah, Socket F would last me unitl the CFO (Wife) killed me.:D

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

@ eggie

THE C2D advertises nice. But I am strictly AMD person, with the exception of the 2 laptops I own which I bought from the company I work at only because I got them for almost nothing as they were upgrading to next generation model.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The AMD64 X2 3800+ AM2 Windsor 65W is a bargain at NewEgg

@ DigeratiPrime

Yeah, That's what I have been looking at for a few weeks.

im also throwing out the suggestion of a C2D, they are just the best out right now. for 1000$ you can get a nice system that will play games at full settings. so i guess you need to tell us what you have/havnt bought already and what your budget is.

@ ripken204

Sorry ripken204, Intel just does not have me drooling. Like I stated above strickly AMD household here with exception of the 2 laptops I own which I bought from the company I work at only because I got them for almost nothing as they were upgrading to next generation model.

ALL, I REALLY appreciate EVERYONE's input on this subject including the Intel products. As far as the Intel products go I am very aware of the product they have. It is just a personel thing with them as to why I don't buy Intel and is not in the scope of this inquiry. If I could have bought the 2 laptops I have with AMD even at a higher price I would have. But the company I work for as far as Laptops go will only buy Intel so I did not have a choice in the matter as far as the Laptops were concerned and at the price I got them at I would have been ignorant not to buy them.

I don't do any hardcore gaming so what I am thinking is possibly the AN9 and the X2 3800+ Windsor for starters. I believe that combo with a Nvidia graphics card would probably give the most flexibility for at least the next few years. And like was in the original post this will be my 1st 64 build so with 7 other computers in the house this will be a good test bed I believe. If there's any other comments, ideas, suggestions please let me know.

Thanks

John

Novatech - Motherboard Bundles

Intel Dual Core 2 Duo 6600 - 2048MB - ATX

£418.30 inc vat

AMD AM2 Dual Core 4200 - 2048MB - ATX

£257.32 inc vat

Which one is faster (PCMark 2005 v1.1.0 - Tomshardware CPU Chart)

• Intel Dual Core 2 Duo 6600
    • CPU = 6168
      Mem = 4006

Athlon64 X2 4200+

• CPU = 4525
    Mem = 3352

Price to Performance (Higher is better - More points gained per £)

• Intel Dual Core 2 Duo 6600
    • CPU = 14.745~ (6168 / £418.30)
      Mem = 9.577~ (4006 / £418.30)

Athlon64 X2 4200+

• CPU = 17.585~ (4525 / £257.32)
    Mem = 13.027~ (3352 / £257.32)

Yes the Athlon64 X2 isn't as fast but its by fare fast enough for what I do....being University course work, my Update Pack testing and building, 2x Virtual PCs 24/7 and that's on my Athlon64 3000+. For the sake of 2% increase in performance upgrading to DDR2, Hum I think I'll run my Athlon64 3000+ against my Turon64 TL50 both running single channel memory as the Sempron64 isn't a good comparison

codejunkie- just are you serious? i love amd over intel, 2 out of my 3 comps are amd. the only reason im not getting C2D myself is b/c i would rather have amd. but i cant justify myself to get an amd over intel right now since intel is raping them. thats why when the barcelona/k8 to come out.

but if he's made his mind for amd only, then i guess he's getting amd, and am2 will be the way to go.