IE7 KB928090 Breaks RunOnceEx (again!)

SRJ

Word of warning:

Whilst nLite integrates IE7-WindowsXP-x86-enu.exe correctly (ie. it does not allow ieronce.dll (v6) to be overwritten with ieronce.dll (v7) thereby allowing RunOnceEx to work), the IE7-KB928090-WindowsXP-x86-enu update breaks RunOnceEx again as nLite integrates ieronce.dll (v7) without realising it :realmad: . I intend on releasing a quick fix to this via an AddOn but not tonight...

Something to keep in mind if your slipstreamed install suddenly doesn't run RunOnceEx correctly!

SRJ.

Supposedly (and from what I've been hearing from everybody who's tried it so far), KB928090 fixes the IE RunOnceEx problem. Did you actually try it before jumping to conclusions? There's an entire MS KB article on the topic and there are many reports on this very forum about the problem being fixed.

Okay I've just checked and KB928090 installs v7.0 of iernonce.dll. When I swap this file out (with v6) RunOnceEx executes correctly, when its left in it doesn't. As nLite leaves iernonce.dll at v6 when it integrates Internet Explorer v7 it must be KB928090 that's to blame given none of the other 13 Feb 07 updates contain iernonce.dll.

Did I try it? I feel like being somewhat facetious due to the question but I won't be given the number of people who are quick to the draw in the forums. Yes I did try it because that's how I discovered it broke my UAE installation. I also note that I'm not the only one who's noticed this (refer this post)

Of those who you say KB928090 fixed their RunOnceEx issues, were they using nLite or RVMIntegrator? Given this broke my installation, I'm a wee bit perplexed why it would fix theres.

I can check this further if need be by simply taking a vanilla SP2 install disk and swapping out just iernonce.dll (ie. swap v6 with v7). Happy to do that if you'd like confirmation this way...

Okay, I've just found another post :whistle: (remembering I'm integrating not installing IE7 via RunOnceEx) that suggests using the Flags entry. I'll give that a go and see what happens and if I have egg on my face I'll be the first to apologise.... and here's another one for unattended installations (suggesting the work around I used which is replacing iernonce.dll v7 with v6 as KB928090 breaks RunOnceEx).

Edited by SRJ

Okay I've done some more testing and the problem remains unless you either:

a. replace iernonce.dll v7 with v6 OR

b. use the Flags RunOnceEx indicator which turns off the Status Dialog (ie. REG ADD %KEY% /V Flags /T REG_DWORD /D 128 /F).

Has anyone gotten RunOnceEx to work correctly with ieronce.dll v7 and the Status Dialog? I prefer to install with the status dialog so users know what's happening. Option B above does not give this (despite everything installing correctly). So... I'll throw together a AddOn that needs to be installed post KB928090 and post it for others to use.

Yep...integrating KB928090 stills breaks RunOnceEx.The only fix right now is the Flags RunOnceEx indicator which turns off the Status Dialog.To offset this[so users know what's happening] I did not add cmdow/hid to my batch files :blushing: .I guess MS does it again.A fix that is actually not a fix :realmad:

Edited by Mann

• 10 months later...

Was this ever fixed?

I've read up on various ways around the problem (such as installing IE7 at the end of the runonceex entries), and am currently modifying the flags to hide the status dialog, but I'd really rather slipstream IE7 AND show the runonceex dialog.... I take it there's still no way of doing this?