Windows 2000 Revolutions Pack

Tihiy

Any updates coming soon?

I don't have time/inspiration.

Any specific ideas?

Not really besides the alt-tab dialog and those small issues. The patch does what it says and that's ok.

Edit:

One thing i'd like to see in w2k is a better thumbnail view, similar to xp's, where the big folder icons are useful to preview what's inside

Edited by Dave.Net

Any updates coming soon?

Any specific ideas?

Maybe you could include an installer that automatically uninstalls previous versions and create *.exe.32bitimgl files for explorer.exe (more colorful sysem tray + 32-bit icons in folder options dialog) and for taskmgr.exe.

EDIT: installer could create cleanmgr.exe.32bitimgl as well

Edited by alexanrs

If I try to associate a file-type with an application by right clicking on a document, selecting 'Open With...', select a program, check 'Always use this program to open these files' and click 'OK' - the document's icon is screwed up.

Look at the file called 'sample' below. The second image is the 'Properties' dialog for a similar file. It is as if a small transparent image has been placed on top of the icon. The third image - same procedure when done in XP.

Any idea why this is happening?

post-70583-1174262555_thumb.jpg

This is problem similar to shortcut arrows.

Notice that Shell is combining 32-bit and not 32-bit image. In such case, it is impossible to determine what result is (because non 32-bit image has zero alpha channel in 32-bit color space -> it will become transparent).

It is possible to workaround this by forcing resulting alpha-channel white, however, if i'm to implement this, you'll lose alpha blending video card acceleration (i don't want to).

It may be possible to work around this directly in Shell in future versions.

Edited by Tihiy

In the case of shortcut arrows all you had to do was use a 32-bit arrow and problem solved. Not so in this case. I tried replacing the background icon with the original 16-colour 2k icon and that didn't work either. In this case the background icon became transparent as well.

So how is XP implementing this - since in the example I provided 'keynote.exe' only had a 32x32 16-colour icon. Does XP convert the lower bit-depth icon into a 32-bit image before combining it with the background icon?

Any specific ideas?

Hope this counts as inspiration/specific idea

hi tihiy, what about the treeview in mapoptions, and other places?

maybe thats an idea to implement?

also netshell uses some sort of strange way to show icons.

look in to that also?

btw, its the best thing that ever happened to win2k!!!

damian666 :thumbup

well the folderoprtions in the explorer window.

youo know, extra's\folderoptions.

there the icons are in 16bit i think.

and in the display properties, when you select a wallpaper.

also in 16bit.

damian666

also in 16bit.

damian666

If you mean those icons under the General tab, they can be changed with reshacker. If you mean the "View" tab (there is a list showing some ugly folder icons at the bottom) then i don't know.

Regarding display properties: every single inch of that applet is fugly as hell. :lol:

also in 16bit.

damian666

To improve the icons in the "Folder Options" dialog create an empty file in C:\WINNT (where Win2000 is installed) and rename it to explorer.exe.32bitimgl.

Edited by alexanrs

Then I guess all applets -including display properties- could be forced to display 32-bit icons by using system32/rundll32.exe.32bitimgl. Is that correct?

It doesn't seem to work for display properties. Maybe it doesn't use ImageLists to store and paint their icons...