Windows XP Themes installed on setup files?

Triel

What I am about to ask is hard for me to ask. It is hard because I am not sure how to ask. A friend of mine has a copy of Windows XP Pro SP2 that has like 8 different Themes already built into it. I asked him where he got them and that is what he told me. I am not really trying to figure out where the build came from just how did the person that built it get it down.

It has the following themes:

Ferrai

Foton

HmmXP

Luna Element 4

Luna Element 4a

ModBlue

OSMininal2

Energy Blue

Royal Mod

VistaXP

Now, I figured all I needed was his theme files to install them on my Normal Windows XP Pro SP2. Funny thing happens though and this is what I am trying to figure out.

This is his VistaXP theme

VistaXPThemeonworkingmachine.jpg

This is what it looks like in mine

VistaXPThemeonvirtualmachine.jpg

Any ideas on what I need from his host DVD inorder to make mine work? Or, where can I get the installer that inserted them in the setup Windows XP DVD?

You have to get them installed on a machine first, but once you do then all you need to do is copy the %SystemRoot%\Resources\Themes\ directory. It can then be incorporated onto a CD using the $OEM$ structure putting all of the directories/files from %SystemRoot%\Resources\Themes\ into $OEM$\$$\Resources\Themes\ on the CD. Some of those may require that either StyleXP or the hacked uxtheme.dll be applied for them to work though.

I use this method (minus StyleXP or uxtheme.dll) for including the Royale and Zune themes in my installs. The reason I don't need StyleXP/uxtheme.dll is because those are both signed themes that can be used with a default install of WinXP.

To make them work on any other machine all you have to do is copy %SystemRoot%\Resources\Themes to the same location on your machine. But you'll also need either StyleXP or the hacked uxtheme.dll.

Edited by nmX.Memnoch

You have to get them installed on a machine first, but once you do then all you need to do is copy the %SystemRoot%\Resources\Themes\ directory. It can then be incorporated onto a CD using the $OEM$ structure putting all of the directories/files from %SystemRoot%\Resources\Themes\ into $OEM$\$$\Resources\Themes\ on the CD. Some of those may require that either StyleXP or the hacked uxtheme.dll be applied for them to work though.

To make them work on any other machine all you have to do is copy %SystemRoot%\Resources\Themes to the same location on your machine. But you'll also need either StyleXP or the hacked uxtheme.dll.

Ok, I did the %systemroot%\resources\Themes part before this post and they failed to be visible. That is what prompted me to start this thread. I am also a dual booter so I installed his OS on another partition and still they failed to be visible (refer to pictures to see what I mean).

I have not heard of the uxtheme.dll hack, so I will have to research that.

One note I would like to point out to others is that the Vista Transformation pack failed to even reconize my I386 folder. So it would not insert them into a build. I decided to try and just install it in a build while in VMWare. It crashed the OS. I am not about to try it with my main OS. I have posted on their forums but all I got was a "Hmm, wonder why! Let us know what happens."

PS: I forgot to state that I did get Royale and Zune to install with no issues at all. Must be for the reason you stated (they are signed).

Edited by Triel

it depends on which mode of uxtheme patch you are using flyakite's patcher exe you can put it in $OEM$\$OEM$\$$\system32. This will patch any uxtheme.dll file, so you dont have to worry about copying the correct patched file.

rename it to uxtheme.exe then in RunOnce add

REG ADD %KEY%\a2 /VE /D "Finishing Setup ..." /f
REG ADD %KEY%\a2 /V 1 /D "prepare.cmd" /f
REG ADD %KEY%\a2 /V 2 /D "uxtheme.exe /S" /f

a2 is the first thing thats run in my setup

I also have my themes in a cab file (to save space on the disk) so then i add

REG ADD %KEY%\a3 /VE /D "Extracting Themes ..." /f
REG ADD %KEY%\a3 /V 1 /D "7z x -y c:\windows\resources\themes\Themes.cab" /f
REG ADD %KEY%\a3 /V 2 /D "del c:\windows\resources\themes\Themes.cab" /f

Thsi extracts them in the themes directory (usind $OEM$\$$\Resources\Themes on my cd), then deletes the cab file when finished.

Edited by phkninja

Well, I do not RunOnce or that would help. Thank you for that for future reference.

I also found a way to patch it and fix the chksum so it would pass Windows Setup file check. Thanks to the pages of the Unattended Windows Installation Guide.