A few problems with nLite install

Cybertronic

I'm having a few problems with my nLite install are the following:

As few people including nuhi has mentioned the DHCP problem where Windows is trying to acquire an IP address (unable to connect to the Internet), I saw the DHCP entry in services which has not been started but the strange thing was that is was on Automatic which has always been in my previous nLite installs.

I tried to start it but it wouldn't let me because of some service dependency and to solve this I had to edit the follow registry keys in order to start the DHCP service:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\Dhcp]

"DependOnService"="Tcpip Afd NetBT"

to:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\Dhcp]

"DependOnService"=""

The same applies for ControlSet002 as well. I'm not sure why this problem occurs because I've selected the DHCP functionality (Ethernet and Wi-Fi) in the compatibility box in nLite :}

Whenever I open an explorer window and select the drop down menu as shown below:

winlitewd7.th.jpg

The drop down menu seems a bit too wide and it occurs on all of my msstyle themes. This seems to happen on all of my nLite installs :wacko:

Lastly, this strange problem occurs randomally where Windows sometimes uses the default Luna theme instead of the theme I have selected which is the Luna Royale theme. If I reboot when it's using the Luna theme, it'll go back to the Luna Royale theme which I've always told Windows to use. Not only this happens with themes, it also happens with my mouse pointer schemes too.

Is there a fix for these problems please? :blushing:

I'm not sure if this problem is related to nLite, during my RunOnceEx installation, I have the ATI WDM drivers which is installed by an AutoIT script however it locks up just before the end of the installation although the drivers seem to be installed fine according to device manager. The error message says "Remote procedure call failed". Has anyone came across this problem before? :unsure:

I've attached my last session.ini file just in case :)

LAST_SESSION.ini

Edited by Cybertronic

I forgot to mention another problem which has been happening ever since I started using my Samsung SH-S183A SATA DVD RW drive which is that whenever I reformat, each time when the PC needs to restart, it fails to restart. This forces me to reset my PC in order to continue the installation and this occurs 3 times:

First time when the Windows XP files are being copied from the disk to the HDD.

Second time when Windows XP is has been installed and requires a restart before it boots properly in Windows XP.

Third time is when RunOnceEx has finished installing everything.

Has this problem happened to anyone else? :unsure:

I had the "DHCP not starting at first boot even though it is set to automatic" but I haven't been able to figure out why (tried with DHCP compatability and not removing a single thing under network). However in my case I can start it and after I do on subsequent boots the DHCP service starts fine.

I have the same drive as you but no such problem...

• 2 weeks later...

Does your NIC have its driver and a configuraiton automatically added during install?

If I'm not mistaken, when the NIC is not preconfigured and is detected and added post-boot as a PNP device, that sequence occurs after services are started. Since there's no NIC at that point to bind AFD/NetBT/TCP/IP to, TCP/IP isn't started and, because of the dependency, DHCP also stops.

I had the "DHCP not starting at first boot even though it is set to automatic" but I haven't been able to figure out why (tried with DHCP compatability and not removing a single thing under network). However in my case I can start it and after I do on subsequent boots the DHCP service starts fine.

I have the same drive as you but no such problem...

I've tried rebooting several times, it wouldn't start until I edited the specific registry key :(

That's strange about the drive problems, I have no idea what causes, perhaps it's motherboard specific? I've got an Asus A8N32 SLI Deluxe motherboard :unsure:

Does your NIC have its driver and a configuraiton automatically added during install?

If I'm not mistaken, when the NIC is not preconfigured and is detected and added post-boot as a PNP device, that sequence occurs after services are started. Since there's no NIC at that point to bind AFD/NetBT/TCP/IP to, TCP/IP isn't started and, because of the dependency, DHCP also stops.

kelaniz, I removed the NIC drivers using nLite and then I used the NIC and installed the drivers a few weeks after installing the nLite image I created. As I stated in my first post, this hasn't occurred in my previous nLite installs before as it would connect to the Internet no problems whatsoever after I installed the drivers :wacko:

Edited by Cybertronic

• 2 weeks later...

You know, that's an aesthetic problem, something superficial and graphical. If it FUNCTIONS correctly then I wouldn't worry about it. Removing Internet Explorer while keeping the IE Core is a wonderful solution for those who hate IE, but its still buggy and causes crazy problems with many programs that are dependent on one or more functions of IE like its HTML-rendering interface. Yet despite this you don't see people whining about fixes, we report the bugs and let others know of them.

Thanks for the "bug" report, but if I were you I wouldn't clamor for a special fix for that issue. nuhi is busy enough as it is. I'm sure he has a life as well, and having nLite at all is quite an accomplishment.

I'd personally love to see a way to remove the "Administrators" group after you create your username.

I'd also like to have a way to completely rip out and remove the "Guest" account, rather then just "disabling" it.

These would be two features that would really help with those who are a bit paranoid about security, but they aren't in nLite (to my knowledge) and they are "extra" features at best and frivolous at worst. Yet you won't see me harp and whine about patches or fixes or "add this and remove this" or other stuff.

So, with all that said...

Till then.