Can you turn 7zip Silent Install EXE's to MSI

p4ntb0y

Ok I made a mistake creating loads of silent installs with a post here on how to create a silent install with 7zip, anyhows I got carried away and made all my "Core Apps" into 7zip exe's but I want to deploy these by Group Policy...

So can you convert an exe to msi? or can you create a simple MSI to go with the exe?

I am new to packaging so sorry if its a dumb question

well, you can make some things to achieve what you want.

if your SFX archives are "stand-alone" programs wich doesnt need to be installed, you can make si setups for them using any setup maker like Advanced Installer (wich is my favorite), Wise Installation Studio, InstallShield or any other program.

if your SFX archives extract files and then run other MSI setups, you can install those msi the normal way, that is with silent switches because you already have the MSI installers.

for the queston you asked about making a msi that runs the already made SFX, you can make a msi setup and then add your sfx archives as custom actions that run aftar the msi install. Advanced Installer includes a "Custom Action Wizard" so you cant get lost. although, the msi installer will be "empty", that is, you dont want to deply nothing with it but to run the SFX archive right? so you can setup the program folder in a temp location. My opinion on this is that you better make msi from start and then just update your sources when new versions come out.

i started making MSI installers for all my freeware programs several months ago and now im glad that i already have all in that way because its easier more organized and are already vista-ready. you can download a trial for those programs if you dont own a license and start making your own.