Backing files that relates to Vista Activation

naddie

I just installed Vista Premium OEM and activated it on my laptop and started to do updates and install Symantec AV 10.2 (corporate edition). However, it would BSOD (like it flashes) and then reboots on me during start up (I've narrowed it down to Symantec AV 10.2, even though I installed the WIN32VISTA version). Unfortunately, I tried all the repair options on the Windows Vista DVD to no avail.

Before I do something more drastic (do a install-over repair, or a fresh re-install), is there any way for me to back up the Activated status like you can with Windows XP? I read that Vista keeps the unique hash as a file somewhere just like XP did. I'd hate to have keep calling MS for activation if it crashes again.

Thanks.

PS: Is there a known issue with SAV and Vista 32-bit? I'd hate to shell out that kind of $$$ for SAV if it won't work with Vista on forward (and would have to resort to use AVG 7.5 free-edition since I already spent my money on Symantec).

I think that as long as the hardware is exactly the same the oem version can be activated many times. I have activated my OEM version several times already without problems on my Toshiba laptop. Its only when hardware changes you run into problems.

I think that as long as the hardware is exactly the same the oem version can be activated many times. I have activated my OEM version several times already without problems on my Toshiba laptop. Its only when hardware changes you run into problems.

So online activation will still work for OEM keys as long as it is on the same hardware? I thought Microsoft disabled all OEM keys from being activated online, leaving the phone option the only viable solution. I know this was true of XP, but if it is working with Vista now, there is still a good chance where Microsoft will still do this for Vista in the future.

I don't have a SLP OEM key. Mine is a self-built MSI barebones laptop (MSI-1013). Strangely, it's been working fine with the public betas, and even the 30-day trial of the final Ultimate Edition (tried this out before finally giving into my purchased license for Premium). So I'm not sure if the reason why you are installing fine without re-activating is because it is a SLP OEM (Toshiba is a Royalty OEM).

the question is, is there really a way to backup Vista activation like we did on XP?

Thanks for restating my question. I think it got lost in the chatter. :)

Although activation for OEM keys will work over online for now, it may not in the future (knowing MS's history).

Plus, mannyo, did you mean you installed your OEM on a PC, then installed the same OEM using the same OEM key on another PC and still able to use the online activation?

try to backup SLC.dll file. May be; this will help u.

Is this for Royalty OEMs? Because I'm speaking about a barebones laptop I built myself (what a fun little project THAT was...), so that means I may not have a SLC.dll. I will check it out though, thanks.

I recall something about an XML file.

the question is, is there really a way to backup Vista activation like we did on XP?
Plus, mannyo, did you mean you installed your OEM on a PC, then installed the same OEM using the same OEM key on another PC and still able to use the online activation?

No a different copy, I am slowly upgrading the 3 desktops in use at home.

No a different copy, I am slowly upgrading the 3 desktops in use at home.

Ah, I understand now. However, I need to reinstall Vista OEM on my laptop (a fresh install) because it buggered out. It was activated before. So my question is if I re-install Vista OEM from scratch again, am I able to re-activiate online, or do I have to call?

And of course, my original question was (so I don't have to keep calling when I have to reinstall from scratch) how can I back up the "activated" status of Vista so after a fresh reinstall, I can restore it without needing to jump through Microsoft's hopps?