tiny, fast, functional open-source defrag utility!

rehack

i'm amazed i haven't seen this before, but JkDefrag is everything i've wanted in a defragger:

- it's small like it should be (300kb download)

- open source

- uses the windows defrag api so it's as fast/safe as every other defragger

- has a gui for those who absolutely must see a pretty picture

- also has a gui-less version that runs silently whenever you like it to

- performs a full contiguity optimization unlike the standard windows defrag

- .. and is just friggin awesome.

i hope someone else enjoys finding this as much as i did!

Thanks for the heads up on a really, really free defrag.

I do like a GUI though. I especially like a pause or stop button which jk doesn't have :(

Although not open source Auslogics Defrag is free for personal and commercial use and works in a Win PE environment.

http://www.auslogics.com/disk-defrag/index.php

Auslogics can't beat the size of jk though.. wow!

I uninstalled Diskeeper, switched to this with the intention of trying it for one week or until I notice any performance degrade as a result of it not doing what it's supposed to do properly, then analyze my drives with Diskeeper and PerfectDisk at that point and see how it compares.

Hey, I'm all for smaller software.

about all i could imagine this wouldn't do is be able to track file usage patterns and store files on the disk in the order they're most often read.. a very useful optimization to be sure, but this program has just blown me away in terms of no-nonsense functionality, small size, no resident services that eat up 10+ mb of ram.. i'm just glad i found it.

and i love the screensaver mode. defrag while idle, it's perfect.

I uninstalled Diskeeper, switched to this with the intention of trying it for one week or until I notice any performance degrade as a result of it not doing what it's supposed to do properly, then analyze my drives with Diskeeper and PerfectDisk at that point and see how it compares.

Hey, I'm all for smaller software.

Interesting, I had thought you were "married" to diskeeper ;) :

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showto...85812&st=47

@all

Some more links to FREE or LOW COST defraggers and related apps can be found on my post here:

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showto...85812&st=22

jaclaz

Interesting, I had thought you were "married" to diskeeper ;)

Well, I suppose we're spending some time apart. :P

I'm tired of using software that needs to be paid for. It's nice to find a free/open-source alternative to the commercial big boys. I'm more for giving the small ones a chance for comparison purposes nowadays.

Apparently it uses Windows defragmentation library.

Care to elaborate?

From the author's "Frequently asked questions" section on his website, "JkDefrag is based on the standard defragmentation API by Microsoft, a system library that is included in Windows 2000, 2003, XP".

the idea that this could in any way be inferior to microsoft's own bundled defrag is a bit odd, since they both call the exact same functions to perform defragging (i.e., the exact same defrag functions that ALL other defraggers call, diskeeper, contig, etc.).

plus this utility forces contiguous space optimization, which microsoft's utility notably fails at (it termintes operation sooner, to appear faster).

So I've been running JKDefrag for several days now and I decided to install Diskeeper and run an analysis. Diskeeper reported my drives as not suffering from fragmentation and my second HDD (which is used for storage only) had absolutely no dragmentation at all. My C drive had 24 fragments and 44 excess fragments. The 132KB JKDefrag application does the job perfectly without the extra bells and whistles.

• 1 month later...
So I've been running JKDefrag for several days now and I decided to install Diskeeper and run an analysis. Diskeeper reported my drives as not suffering from fragmentation and my second HDD (which is used for storage only) had absolutely no dragmentation at all. My C drive had 24 fragments and 44 excess fragments. The 132KB JKDefrag application does the job perfectly without the extra bells and whistles.

I agree! Because on one of my PCs, with Windows XP Pro 2002 SP2 with Internet Explorer 7, seems to be faster.

Internet Explorer 7 on that PC, which I'm typing this post on seems to be faster, even with 56k.

• 9 months later...