Many of my files modified dates are changing on their own..

Chaldean

Hello all.

I have a music folder with many songs in it, and I always sort it by date modified (it is the easiest way for me to get to the latest song)

Lately, a bunch of songs are showing the date modified being updated to the current day when I have not touched them. for example, just today 17 songs show they were modified on 2-12-07, when this is not the case.

My question is is there some sort of feature in windows XP that would cause these files to be updated like this? These are files that I do not access very often, so I don't know if that has anything to do with it. The filenames are not in blue, so I know they have not been automatically compressed.

Thank you in advance

Edited by Chaldean

I've had the same issue and I've resigned myself to believe that it can be a few little things. First of all, if you've defragmented your HDD, it may access the file to move it. Also, it could be an antivirus program that's doing background scans. Could also be that you have some type of file archive library that's keeping track of what's what and where it is.

Lastly, it could be those little goblins that exist in all versions of windows, causing mayhem and havoc wherever they pop up. I've snapped a few screenshots of them and let me tell you, they're freaky.

Note that if the indexer is enabled or antivirus is scanning, both of these things will change the "modified" date (indexer flips the "indexed" bit, and most antivirus load and check a file in process, causing the modified flag to get set).