My new system!

blahface

Im getting a lil fed up and stressed about this, and its not fun no more!

CPU Intel Core 2 Duo E6400

eBuyer @ £132.94 ,

OverClockers@ £152.74 ,

Dabs @ £140.89 ,

Mobo Gigabyte S775 Intel 965P

Dabs @ £77.45

RAM OCZ 2GB (2x1GB matched pair)

OverClockers @ £117.69

eBuyer @ £149.98

Graphic Card Gainward GeForce Bliss 7600GS 256MB DDR (I only need it to do vista well, but can do CSS, UT3 and C&C3 ok)

Dabs @ £78.53

PSU Hiper 530W Black Type R

eBuyer @ £46.88

Case Antec P180B

Froogle

Optical Drive

HDD-Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 500GB @ £93.99,

Sony 18x DVD+/-RW @ £18.21

Wireless PCI Linksys WMP54G

OverClockers @ £17.04

Floppy Disk 7 - in 1 Media Reader

http://www.321db.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=1480145

Case Cooling NF-S12 1200 RPM 120mm

QuietPC @ £15

OverClockers @ £14.09

CPU Cooling (Depending on room in case - as the Ninja is a big thing!)

Scythe Ninja @ £26.97 or

Zalman Cooler @ £31.27

eBuyer @ £23.96

Dabs @ £31.77

overclockers @ £27.01

UK shopping sites:

www.ebuyer.com

www.overclockers.co.uk

www.dabs.com

Anything will help me stop pulling out my hair!

Edited by blahface

The case is really a matter of your preference. We can all recommend other cases, but it all comes down to you. :)
You may want to look at something with a bit more wattage. 380W may be enough to power what you are getting, but you don't want to have to replace the power supply just because you're adding a new component. There's also the chance that if you add a component, the component will get blamed for unexplained crashes when it may simply be that your power supply doesn't provide enough juice.
Mobo Any ASUS
I recently upgraded my system with a C2D and went for the Asus P5B-E. It's an awesome board. The only thing I didn't like about it was the included onboard NIC. I opted to disable it and purchased an Intel PRO/1000 PT PCI Express x1 NIC. It was a fairly cheap upgrade.
RAM 2 Gigs of DDR2-667 or 2 gigs of 800mhz DDR2 [Latency RAM]
Definitely go with the DDR2 800 at a minimum.
You'll get a bazillion different suggestions on this...and mine would be to look for at least a 7600GT based card instead of a 7600GS based card. There are rumors that 8600Gx based cards will be hitting the shelves soon.

Looks good! I would say go for the Asus P5B Deluxe. I did and I couldn't be happier, exept for the drivers for Windows Vista so far. As far as I know all of the drivers and utilities are still in beta but if you don't plan on going to Vista right away then the P5B Deluxe would be a good choice. Don't let the driver issue push you away, cause for betas I haven't had any problems with them yet except for the wireless drivers which I had some problems with. Oh, and it supports Intel's Quad Core processors for future upgrades.

I have a P5B Deluxe (Wifi-AP Edition). But if you don't need the Wifi stuff then go with the P5B Deluxe

Like it was said before the case is what you want. lol I'm using an old Dell XPS case that used to house a Pentium 2. Hopefully that will change within the next couple of months when I get a new one.

I would suggest if you have a little extra cash to spend a bit more and buy the C2D E6400 that way you have a little extra power to run Vista.

I have Windows Vista Home Premium, a P5B Deluxe (Wifi), 2 sticks of Corsair (512mb), and a C2D 6400, and Vista runs very well, wished I had gone with the C2D 6600 if I had had the money. :P

Edited by kutster

I recently upgraded my system with a C2D and went for the Asus P5B-E. It's an awesome board. The only thing I didn't like about it was the included onboard NIC. I opted to disable it and purchased an Intel PRO/1000 PT PCI Express x1 NIC. It was a fairly cheap upgrade.
Can I asks, whats wrong with onboard LAN?

I can remember the day when 400MHz was the fastest. (the last time I built a PC!) ... Im right in thinking that its for the mobo to support faster RAM not the CPU?

You'll get a bazillion different suggestions on this...and mine would be to look for at least a 7600GT based card instead of a 7600GS based card. There are rumors that 8600Gx based cards will be hitting the shelves soon.

This is the part I hate buying!

Im not a gamer, but due to vista looks like im going to have to spend more money that I usally do!!!

ATI X1600 is looking this best so far to me....

Edited by blahface

Thats a nice PSU for a video card .lol really .Not alot of choices out there either for anyting bigger than a 350 !

You can never go to big for a PSU (passive) except tho don't make them .lol Antec has one 500 watt ,check it out .

http://www.antec.com/us/productDetails.php?ProdID=24500

To get bigger PSU which is "silent", it cost alot more....

That 380w is what I had in my "old" system (AMD Atholthon 64 3200+ , ATI 9600 , 1GB RAM) was quiet enought and powered it fine!

O well, a few people people have said this - so I might have to part with more money....

Everything looks okay. Just remember what you are going to use this computer for.

Its not a hardcore gamers rig - just a silent server with lots of room for music that does the odd video editing! (and once a blue moon CSS, tho I will be getting UT 3 and C&C 3 - they have to be play 'fine')

Looks good! I would say go for the Asus P5B Deluxe. I did and I couldn't be happier, exept for the drivers for Windows Vista so far. As far as I know all of the drivers and utilities are still in beta but if you don't plan on going to Vista right away then the P5B Deluxe would be a good choice. Don't let the driver issue push you away, cause for betas I haven't had any problems with them yet except for the wireless drivers which I had some problems with. Oh, and it supports Intel's Quad Core processors for future upgrades.

Bad time with beta drivers - comany never finished them! forcing me to upgrade parts!

I have a P5B Deluxe (Wifi-AP Edition). But if you don't need the Wifi stuff then go with the P5B Deluxe

How good is the on board wireless?

I would suggest if you have a little extra cash to spend a bit more and buy the C2D E6400 that way you have a little extra power to run Vista.

Thanks for the heads up!

I have Windows Vista Home Premium, a P5B Deluxe (Wifi), 2 sticks of Corsair (512mb), and a C2D 6400, and Vista runs very well, wished I had gone with the C2D 6600 if I had had the money. :P

Good for you! :)

I dont plan to use vista till atleast sp1 is out, along with lots of apps....

Edited by blahface

Can I asks, whats wrong with onboard LAN?
Maybe nothing...I never used it. The onboard NIC is made by a company I've never heard of before so I opted to go with what I know.

I can remember the day when 400MHz was the fastest. (the last time I built a PC!) ... Im right in thinking that its for the mobo to support faster RAM not the CPU?

Yes, the motherboard has to support the faster RAM. All of the Asus boards mentioned so far support DDR2 800. Your RAM speed can definitely be a performance bottleneck though, which is why I said that you should definitely go with DDR2 800 vs. 667.

This is the part I hate buying!

Im not a gamer, but due to vista looks like im going to have to spend more money that I usally do!!!

ATI X1600 is looking this best so far to me....

You don't HAVE to purchase an high-end video card just to run the full Vista interface. We just installed Vista Enterprise on a Dell OptiPlex GX520 small-form factor tower. The video in it can't be upgraded so we're just using the onboard video and it's running the full Aero interface just fine.

Everyone has gotten this misconception that you have to have some high-dollar video card to run the interface, but it simply isn't true.

You don't HAVE to purchase an high-end video card just to run the full Vista interface. We just installed Vista Enterprise on a Dell OptiPlex GX520 small-form factor tower. The video in it can't be upgraded so we're just using the onboard video and it's running the full Aero interface just fine.

Everyone has gotten this misconception that you have to have some high-dollar video card to run the interface, but it simply isn't true.

I know vista depands alot, but you dont need the bee knees of a pc, else it wouldnt sell!!!

But you do need something half decent grahic, which is what im after!

You would be better off with

Power Supply:Hiper 530W Black Type M PSU

CPU:Core Duo 2 E6600 (Because its got "MB per Core rather than 2MB shared.

CPU Cooler:Zalman Cooler (because its lower profile, full copper heatsink. You could have space problems with the other one)

RAM:OCZ 2GB (2x1BG matched pair)OCZ have a great reputation and are usually blisteringly quick, I have a set and find them great)

GFX:Gainward GeForce Bliss 7600GS 256MB DDR (see below link. This has DDR3 instead of DDR2 and has some other features)

Hard Drive:Western Digital Caviar 500GB

DVD WriterSony DVD +/- R drive (cheap and good specs)

Compare GFX Cards

Compared

I would also go with the ASUS (I have 1 and find it great with my E6600). The Arctic looks better as a case, but both are good. And i would order off Dabs.com as I have experience with them before and know they deliver quickly and are a joy to deal with (i have had problems in the past and have had no trouble with getting help)

CPU Intel Core 2 Duo E6400

eBuyer @ £132.94 or is it would the extra money so that the MB per core isn't shared, with this @ £205.91

ALL Core 2 Duo's have a shared L2 cache. It actually helps instead of hurts. The second CPU just has double the cache (and a faster clock speed). Personally, I would spend the extra for the 4MB cache.
CPU:Core Duo 2 E6600 (Because its got "MB per Core rather than 2MB shared.
Not true, see above. It's 4MB shared as opposed to 2MB shared.
Mobo I haven't got a clue with this! People say to go for ASUS or Gigabyte...All I know is that I use SATAII, 6x USB and Dual channel (and the CPU to fit in it with the graphic card!)

ASUS P5B Deluxe @ £122.19 or Gigabyte GA_965P_DS3 @ £82.24

Either one will be fine.
Graphic Card GeForce Bliss 7600GS 256MB DDR (I only need it to do vista well, but can do CSS, UT3 and C&C3 ok)

Dabs @ £78.53

If you plan on playing UT3 and C&C3 you should be looking at something with at least a 7600GT, not a GS. As was mentioned, you want to make sure whatever you look at has GDDR3 instead of GDDR2.
PSU Hiper 530W Black Type M

eBuyer @ £46.88

I think there are a few people here who will tell you not to get the cheapest PSU you can find. You really need to look for a quality PSU. People always do this..."Oh, I'll just get a cheap one, it'll be OK". Something you really don't want to do is trust all of these expensive, high-quality parts to a cheap power supply. It's the one thing that if it flakes out has the chance of taking everything with it. Look for something from Antec, OCZ, Thermaltake or Ultra. There's probably a few that I missed...but definitely stay away from the cheapie ones.
That's an awesome hard drive. I have two of the 250GB and two of the 400GB from 7200.10 series. I don't care too much for Sony's optical drives. I had a Sony CD-RW drive a while back that was suppposed to be 52X but would only burn at 40X unless you held the eject button for 5 seconds while the disk was in...and I only found that out after doing some Google searches looking for the reason it was doing that. Turns out Sony decided that the drive was too loud at 52X so they hindered it to 40X unless you knew the trick to bypass it. :rolleyes: Edited by nmX.Memnoch