floppy instalation failed in 64 bit

jwesley44

CAUSE

This problem occurs on disks that do not contain a media descriptor byte in the BIOS parameter block (BPB) of the boot sector. Some older preformatted floppy disks do not contain a media descriptor byte. Older product disks may also not have the media descriptor byte.

this cause and solution can be found here >> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/140060/en-us

this is over my head , could someone please explain it to me in a way i can understand .

do i need 64 bit driver for my floppy ? every indication says my floppy is working fine , but this is not the case .

this is what i have .

ASUS MOTHERBOARD. SOCKET 939 FOR AMD CPU NVIDIA nFORCE 4 SLI. SUPPORTS DUEL PCI-e VGA CARDS. ANVANCED OVERCLOCKING FEATURES.

AMD ATHLON 64 DUEL-CORE PROCESSOR 4400 PLUS 2.21 GHz 1 GB RAM .

RAIDMAX RX-630A ATX12V/ EPS12V 630W Power Supply 115/230 V CB, IEC, TUV, UL, CSA

MAXTOR HARD DRIVE. SATA ULTRA 16 250 GB 7200 RPM ATA 150 16 MB CACHE.( NVIDIA eGeFORCE 6600 GT. GRAPHICS CARD

WIN : XP PRO. 64 Operating System

THANKS Johnny

It's not a driver problem.

When a floppy disk is formatted, it has a piece of information put at the beginning of the disk. Older disks may not have this piece of information, and therefore XP64 can't properly read the disk. This actually goes all the way back to NT4, and probably 3.51.

http://www.jsifaq.com/SF/Tips/Tip.aspx?id=1861

Are you trying to read very old disks? They may just have gone bad if they are very old. I haven't owned a floppy drive in about 10 years, and I remember even then alot of disks I had were unreadable or had errors.

(floppy drives in 2007.. amazing)