VISTA on Athlon 1 Ghz - 512 MB - ATI 9550

jean019

Hi,

I have the following machine :

Athlon 1 Ghz

512 MB ram

ATI Radeon 9550 128 MB

Seagate 200 GB

Currently I run Windows XP, pretty well.

I want to know if the Windows Vista eXperience will be as good as XP eXperience ?

So , will Vista be as quick as XP on my system ?

I ran Vista RC2 on a 1.3ghz Duron, 512mb RAM...

It ran, at least. But I didn't install any apps on it. I'm sure that if I had, it would've dragged. Aero Glass was disabled. From what I've been reading, looks like a 2ghz CPU and 1gb RAM is a bare minimum.

From what I've been reading, looks like a 2ghz CPU and 1gb RAM is a bare minimum.

Yeah, I read much info like that and i have to confirm it, BUT it does not apply to tweaked Vista only to default Vista setup without vLite or disabled services. I have tried a few vista editions from Starter to Ultimate and they are all resource hug from about 300 to 600 MB RAM, not to mention CPU lagging even without Aero. :)

As for me I have 1,5 GHz and 1 GB RAM and even Vista Ultimate with Aero and all effects ran smooth, but I have disabled that, because I hate those effects, which hurts my eyes and make me feel sick.

• 3 weeks later...
From what I've been reading, looks like a 2ghz CPU and 1gb RAM is a bare minimum.

Yeah, I read much info like that and i have to confirm it, BUT it does not apply to tweaked Vista only to default Vista setup without vLite or disabled services. I have tried a few vista editions from Starter to Ultimate and they are all resource hug from about 300 to 600 MB RAM, not to mention CPU lagging even without Aero. :)

As for me I have 1,5 GHz and 1 GB RAM and even Vista Ultimate with Aero and all effects ran smooth, but I have disabled that, because I hate those effects, which hurts my eyes and make me feel sick.

I Agree. At work we have 2 machines with almost the same specs. They run, but to slow to really be productive on them. Back to ye good old XP for those 2.

I also disabled the effects on most machines: people are complaining about headaches and feeling sick.

I also disabled the effects on most machines: people are complaining about headaches and feeling sick.

Yep, after looking at it for more than 2 hours on my 22" display I become dizzy. It's very irritating on long term. And on Classic theme I had no problem even after 36 hours. I've been using computers for 13 years now and this hasn't happened to me since 2000.

Edited by dexter.inside

actually i have noticed that...i use a computer for about 15 hours a day.....college home etc......and like college has xp..and when i had vista sset up...after 3 hours of staring at windows explorer....my eys would give up lool....

I Agree. At work we have 2 machines with almost the same specs. They run, but to slow to really be productive on them. Back to ye good old XP for those 2.

If the machine you install Vista on is below the minimum specs (minimum being the operative word here) why would you install the OS onto that machine? I've seen a great many people on MSFN complaining about Vista but installing it on old components with minumum memory. It's the same as putting regular fuel in a vehicle that requires premium fuel. Sure the vehicle will run but you shouldn't complain when it starts backfiring and doesn't accelerate like it should.

I tested a cut down version of vista on my computer (a sempron2400+ processor and 384 Mb of memory). vlite makes a big difference, aero and all the visual effects worked and i was able to run some office apps, but Vista needs some serious tweaking in order to make it perform like XP does....

Edited by amocanu