Windows XP

Narcon

Hi all

Please can anyone tell me how I would go about transferring all to a new hard drive. I dont want to start again, because of losing all updates etc. I also do not want to end up with two hard drives on the system.

I understand I may have to re activate via MS.

I have another computer I can temporaraly put both old and new hard drives on.

Thanks

David Henderson

Cheers for the reply,

I will definately do a back up.

Dont forget some of us cannot get broadband.

I just dont want to have to go through hours of security updates again, also I have current Norton subscriptions.

David

If you have a copy of Norton Ghost, use it. Put in your new hard drive alongside your old one, and boot from the Ghost floppy/CD and start the clone process. Once that's done, take out your old hard drive, and put in the new one in place of where the old HDD was previously. I've done this before and its an exact duplicate.

Ghost is a simple way.But we are in 32 bit platform.Use Partition Magic and copy disk or partition another drive easily.There are many ways for this.Paragon disk commander,BootIT next generation,Norton Ghost 32 bit and Drive image

Drive image 2003 v7.0 can on the fly copy what ever you want

Actually ghost isn't the easiest way. What DaveXP suggested is.

Every HD comes with a disk full of utilities. On that disk you have a easy click transfer/copy image from one HD to the new one. Takes only a few minutes.

Actually ghost isn't the easiest way. What DaveXP suggested is.

Every HD comes with a disk full of utilities. On that disk you have a easy click transfer/copy image from one HD to the new one. Takes only a few minutes.

It depends if you baught the drive in a retail box or in an OEM package.

All the people I know buy their hard drives in OEM packages...

In fact, I know only one store that sells hard disks in retail packages, and they are so expensive compared to the others that no one buys them there.

• 3 weeks later...

I HAD A wIN98 install along WinXP! So I just backed up the Windows directory,Program Files... and connected the new HDD which was NTFS,then I booted the WinXP from my previous HDD then coppied everything from the backup disk to the new disk and all is working excelent now!

Except I have some icon problem...

check this link:

http://www.MSFN.org/board/index.php?act=ST...ST&f=34&t=10495