Vista on 256 MB RAM!

arnab88

Well lets not say faster (if you ment on the speed of solving this issue) but it should be a must.

Why I'm not that hyped to do this patch...well the thing is I don't really see why people with less than 512RAM want to install Vista anyway? Just to see and remove it? Only for internet?

I agree, nuhi.

The tweak in nLite for the 'Minimum Hard Drive space requirement' makes ALOT of sense, seeing as how you can easily shrink xp to an infant with all the Removed Components. Myself, I first create a 1GB partition with my nlite'd CD. Since the Recycle Bin reserves a certain percentage of hard drive space (12%, I think), you can save even more HD space with this tweak.

However, with Vista, even if you CAN do it... why?

I mean, technically, XP can run on 128mb. I've even gotten it to run on 100mb. But (hehehe), try to install a few apps on top of it. Forget it!! You can get by with 256mb, but you should have at least 512mb to get by.... with XP!

At tomshardware, their tests show that you REALLY need about 1gb of RAM to get any decent performance out of Vista.

So, it's interesting to know it can be done. But, for the love of all that is geeky, PLEASE DON'T!! :P :P

BTW, I hadn't planned on messin' with Vista for at least a few months, but after seeing what you're doing with vLite, I'm DAMNED tempted!! (Nice job, nuhi!!)

Edited by RaGhul

• 2 weeks later...

I have a version of windows xp sp2 lite an iso of 125mb and it runs with 64mb ram..no explorer in it and most things like drivers etc are ript out..a good version for old pentium2 machines it runs good enough to do anny thing..webcam support is disabled do..so its really lite !

But to get back to the subject..its better to have enough ram 512 or more to run windows vista's most advanced version..and speed improvement will apair when one compile a new lite version of windows vista ultimate or whatever version one choose to make liter -version of !

My version runs perfect with its 745 mb ram and i had no errors for the last 24 hrs since install..instead i have a very fast running system that makes me happy !

Hope your version makes you happy aswel!

Only if the size of boot.wim is reduced then one can install vista by booting off the dvd.

The boot.wim is a winpe image which gets expand to a ram drive and its expanded size is around 300-350mb and so one needs a minimum of 375mb of ram to install from the dvd.

hope, nuhi can do this...

Edited by Manju