Replacing Notepad.exe

Swimming_Bird

As i do in my windows boxes i'm tyring to replace notepad.exe with a better editor. however it'll never let me copy the file over, even when running in admin mode (or whatever). I get the UAC popup and after accepting it still says i dont have access to do the replace.

Anyone know how to get it to overwrite?

heres what i do:

right-click on notepad.exe and select Properties.

go to the Security tab > Advanced > Owner and change the Owner to Administrators and click OK.

go back to the Security tab and click on Edit..., under users/groups select Administrators and check teh box for Full control.

click OK twice and youre now able to delete/replace notepad.exe

• 2 weeks later...
heres what i do:

right-click on notepad.exe and select Properties.

go to the Security tab > Advanced > Owner and change the Owner to Administrators and click OK.

go back to the Security tab and click on Edit..., under users/groups select Administrators and check teh box for Full control.

click OK twice and youre now able to delete/replace notepad.exe

hrm, this doesnt seem to work for me

Instead of throwing the baby out with the bath water and crippling security configurations just to rid ones self of a single 100kb file ... Why not just change the file associations for the file types you want opened with the other editor?

It's hardly hurting anything just sitting on the drive, Christ it's only a text editor not a plague rat.

Instead of throwing the baby out with the bath water and crippling security configurations just to rid ones self of a single 100kb file ... Why not just change the file associations for the file types you want opened with the other editor?

It's hardly hurting anything just sitting on the drive, Christ it's only a text editor not a plague rat.

Answer:

Because there are many many associations to change. :ph34r:

There's a "spoiler" tag, let's use it. :P

okey... here you go

disable UAC first.. (control panel--->user account-->Turn user account control on or off-->remove tick-->ok)

go to system32 [run(winkey +r)-->system32]

locate notepad

rt click on it-->properties-->security tab-->choose administator-->advance-->choose owner tab--> click edit-->click administrator-->ok-->OK-->on security tab again click administrator--->click edit-->click administrator again-->give full permission by putting tick mark on FULL-->ok-->ok

Delete notepad or rename to else

paste ur fav editor as notepad.exe

Voila...

cheers

Answer:

Because there are many many associations to change. :ph34r:

There's a "spoiler" tag, let's use it. :P

How cleaver I have to highlight text to read it ... Not!

Many Many?!? try 2

.txt & Internet options HTML edit with...

Sure there are others .reg .inf .ini etc. Which have no syntax highlighting support (and therefore don't need a fancy editor...), and if you really need it then you're probably to stupid to be editing the file in the first place.

If you really want to have everything "covered" then add your editor of choice to the send to menu and you're done ... or pick an editor (Like EmEdit) that is written by someone with enough sense to grab the file associations during the install and it's problem over.

Poking holes in a security scheme that's designed to protect the OS just to wedge in some widget is foolish and a recipe for disaster.

What about recabbing the notepad replacement in your original source prior to install? hek thats what I do currently in xp.

Well well well..

it will require to build a DVD from the scratch and will lead a new topic again. :)

I agrree and on this, plus there are 2 notepad.exe in Vista

1\ Drive\Windows\notepad.exe

2:\ Drive\Windows\System32\notepad.exe

ini, reg, inf have no syntax highlighting? No syntax folding either probably.

Have you ever changed more than one association in windows?

I have quite a good experience in this field and can tell you replacing notepad.exe is by far the easiest method.

Wrong it easier to right click the text file and select the app you want to open it with and select alway use

then what has been posted to change or remove notepad.