[Win2k]3min login delay

BigDaddy

This PC has Win2k with all of the available updates. And also it is set to have auto user login. Since only one user is using this PCs. But from the moment that the user is being logged on it takes 3min to get to the desktop. And in the meantime the HDD is doing almost nothing.

This computer is not part of any network. It only has a NIC to connect to ADSL.

Thus far I have tried the following but the problem still persist:

disabled the NETWORKING SERVICE and also the NIC

Disabled as much unneded services as possible

Set the NIC IP to static

ps. This delayed login only happens when I first boot windows. If I log out of the user accoung and then relogin there is no delay.

I also checked the EVENT VIEWER and this is what I get at every boot up:

Event Type:	Error
Event Source: NetBT
Event Category: None
Event ID: 4311
Date: 10.2.2007
Time: 11:13:45
User: N/A
Computer: SERVER
Description:
Initialization failed because the driver device could not be created.
Data:
0000: 00 00 04 00 01 00 54 00 ......T.
0008: 00 00 00 00 d7 10 00 c0 ....×..À
0010: 13 01 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
0018: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
0020: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
0028: 34 00 00 c0 4..À

Disabled NETBIOS in SERVICES.MSC and also in network properties but this error still comes.

Event Source: ipnathlp
Event ID: 32003
Time: 11:14:18
Description:
The Network Address Translator (NAT) was unable to request an operation of the kernel-mode translation module. This may indicate misconfiguration, insufficient resources, or an internal error. The data is the error code.
Data:
0000: 1f 00 00 00 ....

Event Source: ipnathlp
Event ID: 32003
Time: 11:14:18
Description:
The Network Address Translator (NAT) was unable to request an operation of the kernel-mode translation module. This may indicate misconfiguration, insufficient resources, or an internal error. The data is the error code.
Data:
0000: 1f 00 00 00 ....

Personally, if you're not connecting to a network then I'd kill any unnecessary services that reference or look to the network. I doubt that it's the NIC or basic networking services causing your problem, but rather something that is trying to look to the network and, not finding one, has to time out. So if you log out and log back in there is no delay b/c the service has already failed. Maybe check for services set to Automatic that are not started or run msconfig to see if there's anything in your startup that may be causing the timeout? Last resort you could run bootvis to see what's causing the delay.

• 2 weeks later...

I've enabled verbose login. And when the delay occurs this are the two messages I usually get but not always:

active directory is starting

isn't this weird for a Win2k PRO OS?

Configuring security policy to the system

Personally, if you're not connecting to a network then I'd kill any unnecessary services that reference or look to the network.

Tried it and still had the login delay

I doubt that it's the NIC or basic networking services causing your problem, but rather something that is trying to look to the network and, not finding one, has to time out. So if you log out and log back in there is no delay b/c the service has already failed.

My information was missguided, because at times the delay happens B4 the user starts to login and at other times the delay occurs after user is being logged in.

Maybe check for services set to Automatic that are not started or run msconfig to see if there's anything in your startup that may be causing the timeout?

All the services marked AUTOMATIC do start. Also checked MSCONFIG and found no stange things.

Edited by BigDaddy

The Event log service should not be causing such an issue and it's the only native source of logging for your system. However, if you could post a list of what services you have, and in what states something may pop out to someone.

I still think you have a service looking for a network resource and is timing out. Can you duplicate the delay fairly consistently? If so, try coming up w/o your network cable connected to see if you still get the delay.

Edited by Mordac85

To see what acctualy occurs during logon, activate userenv logging.

Here you get both time and what happens during the logon.

221833 How to enable user environment debug logging in retail builds of Windows

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...kb;EN-US;221833

I attach the complete debug log file:

userenv.zip

Edited by BigDaddy

CLUBERTI

About your memory dump I will do it next week when I get back here to this computer.

The Event log service should not be causing such an issue and it's the only native source of logging for your system. However, if you could post a list of what services you have, and in what states something may pop out to someone.

I still think you have a service looking for a network resource and is timing out. Can you duplicate the delay fairly consistently? If so, try coming up w/o your network cable connected to see if you still get the delay.

This happens every time I reboot the machine with or w/o the network cable plugged in.

I attach 2 screenies of my services ordered by status.

I hope we will be able to solve this ASAP

post-8982-1172572672_thumb.jpg

post-8982-1172572684_thumb.jpg

If it happens w/o a network cable plugged in, we're going to need a memory dump about 1.5 minutes into the login "pause".

The thing is that this login "pause" sometimes happens after the user is being logged in and sometimes B4 the user even has a chance to login in.

So I should dump the memory after 1.5 minutes after the system has loaded to the desktop or 1.5minutes between the login delay?

Whenever the delay occurs, if it happens to be usually 3 minutes, dump at 1.5. If it happens to be 2 minutes, dump at 1 - whatever you are normally experiencing as the delay, wait HALF of that and then dump the box (I don't care when :)).