cannot access shares via name only IP

robbied69

Hi,

I am having a problem whereby I am trying to access another machine by: \\comp_name\c$ When I do so, it asks me to log in as a local administrator and asks for a password, which the previous person did not leave me. However, I can access it via the \\192.168.0.7\C$ perfectly. I have been told it is a possible DNS issue. I have used NSLookup on the ip address and it points to the correct machine. I have also used NSLookup on the machine and it points to the correct IP address.

Can someone please help me as its annoying me.

Thanks in advance.

Do you by chance have any other maps to that machine by it's name?

Doing so, the system stores the name used during that connection, and will complain that the "information conflicts..."

if you try to connect using a new name (your logon account assumed by default).

Using the IP address instead is a known workaround to that problem.

However, you didn't SAY that it was complaining in that way.

I do not see how you can connect to an admin share with NO password via IP - unless it is accepting your logon by default and that logon is a local admin, as far as it is concerned

Do you have a local account on that machine? If so, and you are an admin (you should be since it is letting you attach at an Admin share) disconnect any other shares to that machine (including any in a script by "net use") and reboot.

You can remap the all the shares by \\machine_name and should be golden.