set IE 64 as default browser

Seyss

I think you must be very confused. I think you are referring to IA-64, and confusing it with a browser. I believe that if you purchase the OEM version of Vista, you can only choose the 32-bit or 64-bit version once, and then cannot change. If you install the full version, you can switch versions if you reinstall.

If you meant you wished to install a 64-bit version of Internet Explorer, then you must have a 64-bit version of Vista installed first. I think that if you had a 64-bit version of Vista installed, you would already have a 64-bit version of Internet Explorer. In any case, check the following:

Do you have a 64-bit processor?

Is your installed version of Vista the 64-bit version?

If the answer to both of those questions is yes, then you should be able to install a 64-bit version of IE, and I cannot understand your problen. If the answer to either of those questions is no, then you will not be able to use the 64-bit version of Internet Explorer, or any other application.

1. Open Internet Explorer 64 (Start/Programs/Internet Explorer (64-bit).

2. Open Tools/Internet Options (far Right)

3. Click the Programs Tab

4. Click the Make Default Button

5. Also suggest turning on the 'Tell Me if IE....' Check box

6. Hit OK (or Apply) and you should be set

Good Luck.

• 1 year later...

LaRock, this won't work - at least not on Vista 64-bits. As long as you have set either version of IE (32 or 64 bit) as the default, the other version of IE will consider itself to be default as well. They sort of act like one instance of IE, it seems.

I managed to set the 64-bit version as default by bluntly replacing all references in the registry referring to "C:\Program Files (x86)\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe" (32-bits IE) with "C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe" (the 64-bits version). Not very elegant, but it did the trick.

PS: I quickly changed the settings back again because not a single ActiveX control was working with the 64-bits IE :whistle:

Notice by default, launch "iexplore" from "Run" dialog will start IE 64bits ... so you can use this regtweak to fix it to 32bits

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\iexplore.exe]
@="C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Internet Explorer\\iexplore.exe"
"Path"="C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Internet Explorer"

I honestly can not think of any particular reason someone would want to do this, unless they're viewing multi-gigabyte sized documents inside the browser. 32bit add-ons won't work meaning lots of pages won't render, for starters, and there are few to no 64bit add-ons for most of the commonly-used plugins today, and that won't change until there is no more 32bit browser standard with the OS, I'd wager.

And if you're opening multi-gigabyte documents in a browser, that seems woefully inefficient and painful to endure...