PC router vs hardware router

"Faster" is not really thw word to use. Thougha 450Mhz computer is "faster" then all the comsumer routers, it's not going to make your connection any faster. i would use Smoothwall and put it on that PC. It will be more security than a regular router, and give you a few more opitions.

"Faster" is not really thw word to use.  Thougha  450Mhz computer is "faster" then all the comsumer routers, it's not going to make your connection any faster.  i would use Smoothwall and put it on that PC.  It will be more security than a regular router, and give you a few more opitions.

I know internet won't be any faster, but how about LAN, when im copying a large file to someone on the network can the rest still use 100% of the WAN connection b/c most routers have slow downs when u go onto internet and someone else is using 100% LAN to another computer on the network, here im talking about my Linksys 8port router..

If you're using a distro such as Smoothwall or IPCop for internet sharing on a PC (decent enough on an old 166 as you can see in my specs), then your hub/switch will be doing most of the LAN work.

If you're feeling clever enough, you could install FreeBSD on an old box and use it for internet routing. :)

I've used smoothwall, lrp, & other linux router/firewall distro's and to be honest the only advantage is you have greater control of internet traffic. When you really get down to it.. your power bill should be what decides wether you use a pc or a hardware firewall solution. The PC is gunna cost you more to run over a months time than the linksys router will & in my situation wasn't worth it.

I know internet won't be any faster, but how about LAN, when im copying a large file to someone on the network can the rest still use 100% of the WAN connection b/c most routers have slow downs when u go onto internet and someone else is using 100% LAN to another computer on the network, here im talking about my Linksys 8port router..

If you are copying to a computer on the local network there will be no slowdown. At this point you are connected thru the switch that is built into the router. Your speeds will remain at 100Mb full duplex. Your transfer rates will only slow when you are making multiple transfers.

"Faster" is not really thw word to use.  Thougha  450Mhz computer is "faster" then all the comsumer routers, it's not going to make your connection any faster.  i would use Smoothwall and put it on that PC.  It will be more security than a regular router, and give you a few more opitions.

OK, I'll stir things up a bit. The PC is faster than the "router". On your 8-port router you are effectively ~2Mb/s half duplex if you are utilizing the internet and that is what the cap on your connection to the Internet from your broadband device is.

The linksys router doesn't translate 2Mb/s Half duplex to 100 Mb/s Full duplex. A PC will translate between NICs so each client goes full speed at their selected rate. You'd need numerous multiple NICs to make a router from the PC (good luck finding a motherboard that will support 8 NICs) or expensive server-class dual and quad port NICs.

Another (cheaper) way to do this is to make the PC the firewall/DNS/Cache. This configuration will give you great performance between PC and Internet (I use Squid to cache HTTP and DNS) and will translate 10 Mb/s Half to 100 Mb/s full for the LAN users. This configuration makes the Internet "faster" while keeping the clients all at 100Mb/s Full duplex.

So... connect broadband to PC Router/cache/Firewall public interface; connect switch to PC Router/cache/Firewall private interface; connect LAN users to switch. Users get DHCP from switch, PC Router/cache/Firewall gets DHCP from its' public interface. Users get DNS from cache, Users get Static HTTP (.GIFs, .Jpegs, static text, yadda-yadda) content from cache.

Placing a PC in your data path seems to be a waste if it doesn't get used alot so next, add Apache, PHP, Netjuke, BrowseAMP, WinAmp2, and rip all of your CDs to MP3 to run from your new jukebox :)