Cannot install a language pack after vlite installation

Colin MacLaren

Today I made a Vista-DVD with vlite removing stuff I don't need like Media Center, Security Center or Windows Defender. The installation went smooth without any porblems. However, now I am not able to install the German MUI. The language setup starts, but the integration fails at about 3/4 progress.

So far I haven't found a solution yet.

Could anymone explain how to integrate a lp.cab into a vlite-image?

Or does anyone have a suggestion which removed component could be the cause for that error?

Thanks for your help!

From what I tested, there seems to be some dependancies within Windows Defender for MUI packs.

All I can tell is that I tested with and without WD on the image, and language packs installed just fine with WD on. However, they'd fail exactly at the same point you mention if I take WD out.

• 1 year later...
Today I made a Vista-DVD with vlite removing stuff I don't need like Media Center, Security Center or Windows Defender. The installation went smooth without any porblems. However, now I am not able to install the German MUI. The language setup starts, but the integration fails at about 3/4 progress.

So far I haven't found a solution yet.

Could anymone explain how to integrate a lp.cab into a vlite-image?

Or does anyone have a suggestion which removed component could be the cause for that error?

Thanks for your help!

Maybe miss Component "Help & Support"

• 2 weeks later...
Why don't you first add the language pack and then vlite your image ?

A very good advice, but not for vLite... unfortunately. LIP cannot be integrated using vLite, especially (and I believe ultimately) into a 64-bit version of Vista. I experienced it myself a couple of times with Ukrainian LIP for Vista sp1 64-bit intergration, and I am not the only one with this unpleasant experience. C.p. http://www.msfn.org/board/Error-integratin...641#entry781641

Edited by yurolex

Why don't you first add the language pack and then vlite your image ?

A very good advice, but not for vLite... unfortunately. LIP cannot be integrated using vLite, especially (and I believe ultimately) into a 64-bit version of Vista. I experienced it myself a couple of times with Ukrainian LIP for Vista sp1 64-bit intergration, and I am not the only one with this unpleasant experience. C.p. http://www.msfn.org/board/Error-integratin...641#entry781641

I have Vista Ultimate x64 SP1 and i integrate romanian just fine. But this must be do it on vista unmodified instal. If you try to do this on a vlited install will fail. I do it on this way: installed original vista, searh for updates, select romanian language pack, install and after the download is complete, during instalation process i go to C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download\Install and there is a lp.cab which i copy and save it where i have drivers and updates. Then i start vlite and i integrate that lp.cab, drivers and updates on the original untouched vista install. This will take some time... After you install a modified vista any other try to integrate a language pack will fail.

Then i start vlite and i integrate that lp.cab, drivers and updates on the original untouched vista install. This will take some time... After you install a modified vista any other try to integrate a language pack will fail.

I just read your post and it's very close to what I want to say, 'cause I found the way to have success with x64 LIP integration and decided to share it. I did the integration and vliting in two phases: I first integrated Ukrainian LIP only, applied changes to the image, closed vLite and then did tweaks and other staff to that already modified, i.e. vLited, image. Now I have much smaller distribution of Vista Ultimate x64 with Ukrainian interface integrated.

I do all in one move, language pack, updates and changes, no problemm at all. If you have something else from your experience to share to others is a good thing, maybe i wasn't clear or i miss something.