Network Design Help

Gaprofitt

HI All,

I need some help. First of all i'm no network guru, I don't understanding subnetting or subnet masks. I have been

given the task to redesign our network. I know currently our network is all Class A, 10.x.x.x, 255.0.0.0 addresses. We have

one router which connects us to our facility in Alabama. We have a Juniper box which connects us to the Wan. The other

day someone looped one of our IP phones and basically took down the whole network until I found it. We have Dell switches

which I want to replace because quite frankly they suck and offer no management options. I know on a few Cisco switches

we have it disabled the ports on them because of all the traffic. Alright enough complaining on to my problem.

We have about 15 IDF panels in our plant, all of them have one switch and fiber connections that go into our server room. My main

issue is nothing is labeled and they have ran cabling from these IDF panels all over the facility, in other words it's not a safe bet

to assume they ran what would be obvious runs to the appropriate/closest IDF panel. I am assuming because of this VLANs

would be very hard to implement. How can I segregate all this traffic and get everything off the Class A network scheme? I understand

Class A is a big con. How are the Procurve line of switches? Any advice or sample maps would be great.

Thanks,

Greg

greggap@comcast.net

you should consider your VLANs on your network.. know if the VLAN used is port, ip, MAC base etc... the usual is port and IP.. if its IP base u'll have problems changing your ip block... also the routers for your WAN.. for its E0 is based on you LAN IP

you should consider your VLANs on your network.. know if the VLAN used is port, ip, MAC base etc... the usual is port and IP.. if its IP base u'll have problems changing your ip block... also the routers for your WAN.. for its E0 is based on you LAN IP

Currently we have no VLAN's at all. Corporate wants us to use the address scheme 172.18.152-159.x when we redesign our network. Currently

everything is Class A, 255.0.0.0. I'm not fully sure how to segregate the network traffic, I know how to physically seperate it. How can I isolate

a particular range of IP's from other traffic hitting it.

Currently we have no VLAN's at all. Corporate wants us to use the address scheme 172.18.152-159.x when we redesign our network. Currently everything is Class A, 255.0.0.0. I'm not fully sure how to segregate the network traffic, I know how to physically seperate it. How can I isolate a particular range of IP's from other traffic hitting it.

VLANs is one way to segregate network traffic logically and also isolate it from other traffic as entry to the VLAN can be controlled by the router.

Access Control Lists on a router can be used to setup rules and what not, you won't necessarily need VLANs as the ACLs can work by IP or groups of IP addresses etc