Vista OEM

cachirro

Right - and in 180 days, when 3 machines attempt to re-check whether or not their installation is valid, it's likely that 2 will break (if you've got three with the same key installed).

You only need to renew activation if you are using a Key Managment Server. However it is possible for validation to fail at some future point and revoke the activation.

Is the OEM much cheaper than the Upgrade versions? If not, you might not have seen this but you can install the Upgrade version on an empty partition without entering a license key. Just select the version you purchased and installation will continue.

When done and fully installed, boot from the DVD again and this time enter the license key. Choose a clean install and setup will detect the already installed Vista, format it, and install your Upgrade version fresh. No need to install XP first, as it considers the installed Vista as qualifying the same as it would if XP were installed.

This method was distributed by Microsoft to its internal emails so it's not as if I'm advocating anything bad. It appears they have no intention of changing this behavior either.

Doing this, you'll have a retail version which will not have the OEM ties to only use on the original hardware. You can change the hardware as long as you do not use the license on more than one system at a time. That's the normal retail policy. You just need to call as the different hardware will not be allowed to automatically activate over the internet.

Seem like the better solution. You'll have bought Vista at a more reasonable price, be allowed to use it on one machine, but will not be shut out someday if you decide to upgrade to a new computer like you would if you bought the OEM.

In appreciation of the price break, if I were you, I wouldn't use the XP you might have anymore. That way you would be more in line with that "Upgrade" you did pay for. Not necessary because of the way the installation is designed, but the nice thing to do! If you're like me and have purchased more than one license for XP, that wouldn't hinder you from still using XP but only retiring one license so you actually do qualify legitimately for the Upgrade Vista version.

If you never bought an XP, you could still do this but then you would be a bad guy! :wacko:

You only need to renew activation if you are using a Key Managment Server. However it is possible for validation to fail at some future point and revoke the activation.

Right, but validation happens repeatedly - it's not a one-time deal like it was on XP. And when 3 machines validate with the same PID key, 2 will fail to revalidate and will re-arm and need reactivation.

Right - and in 180 days, when 3 machines attempt to re-check whether or not their installation is valid, it's likely that 2 will break (if you've got three with the same key installed).

Never had that problems in XP.. And i was able to activate online 3 times with same OEM license in a row, but then i needed to wait 120 (or 180?) to be able to activate online again, between this period the only way to activate was from Phone...

Maybe thats different with vista....