Using HFSLIP on Windows Vista

zedox

I've now installed vista, i'm trying to run HFSLIP on my XP source. It says "you are advised to run HFSLIp with administrator priveledges" of which I have.

When I create an image of SOURCES and burn it, install it, comes up with error couldn't copy OPUC.DLL during text setup.

Never had this when using HFSLIP on XP...

I suppose Windows Vista doesn't have the registry key that I'm looking for. And if OPUC.DLL won't copy, it means modifyPE.exe failed to run. It's probably not compatible with Vista (yet).

I need to buy a copy of Vista (Home Premium or higher) for my father so I'll be able to experiment a little in a few days.

I assumed it was modifype problem aswel...

I extracted the opuc.dll from the opuc.dl_ file, and tried to run modifype on it... it didnt work. :(

I copied opuc.dll to an xp pc and ran modifype on it, it worked. Copied it back, cabbed it back up and hey presto the install works.

• 4 months later...

This isn't an HFSLIP problem, you know. I can work around the "administrative privileges" prompt but that's it. The fact that OPUC.DLL has a bad header is MS's fault, and I'm not the author of modifype.exe so I can't make a version that's Vista-compatible. There are other files that need to be modifype'd too.

@ZEDOX:

A little bit offtopic but where can I get the (up-to-date) OPUC.DLL? I tried to google for it but the links to the Microsoft website that could help were dead. Is it part of a special patch? If so, please tell me the KB-#...

Thanks!

• 2 months later...

A suggestion would be to make a special command file to change the checksum of the file by hex-editing it. That way modifyPE is not required for Vista. The thing is, I have no idea on how to do this.

btw, what files are required to be run throught modifyPE? I think the IE7 installer should be fine.

the_guy