painfully slow textmode file copy. :(

I am using an ISO image that was made from an original VRMPVOL_EN disc, (MD5: 973987A4372E273EBE961E9DFF628FBF). I'm installing into Virtual PC 2007 environment to test out various unattended options, driver integration, hotfix slipstreaming and reg tweaks. the initial install i'm doing clean.

when i run the install off this image, the textmode copy section has some parts in the beginning where it is fine, and then it gets stuck on many different files....like spnike.dll, rio8drv.sys, riodrv.sys etc. it's to the point where it really crawls for an hour, but it does not give me an error or that it cant read them, it just takes forever.

however, when i use a CD that was originally an SP1 or SP1a Professional VLK that i then slipstreamed with SP2 myself. the textmode flies through just fine.

can anyone shed any light on this?

thanks,

Leon

Hi Leeoniya,

I used to get a simular problem with Win98, that was down the a damaged 'Smartdrv.exe'

I don't know if WinXP even uses that file. :blushing:

My advice would be to either make a new ISO and/or store the ISO in a different place on the system. Cos it sounds as though the install is have problems accessing certain parts of that image.

i have to correct myself, the disk that works normally without the slowdown is a retail Pro with slipstreamed SP2.

i dont think it's possible for any file to be faulty with the MD5 of the image matching the one that i have found publicly posted everywhere online.

thanks for the advice though.

Leon