Vista QFE slipstreaming

pkgmgr /o:"c:\mount;c:\mount\windows" /l:c:\temp\logfile /n:c:\temp\Windows6.0-KB931573-x86.xml
To speed it up I did a perl

script to do all the repetitive work, but I'm still hitting the brick wall about the QFE's being integrated

with the install image. It is still just adding them to a cache and then installing at desktop.

I don't think anyone answered his original question in post 1.

I believe the /n switch for unattended installs and points to the xml file, not for integrating installs (according the command-line options for pkgmgr). It will add your xml to autoinstall as an unattended install.

The /ip switch is the one you need (which is what you are missign) to install update. The /ip switch requires the /m switch. The /m switch points to the package directory.

It seems peimg requires you to inject, then install. Pkgmgr, on the other hand, will install with one command (no injection, then install required).

I haven't test this yet. Will post results once I am successful.

It'd be nice if someone can come up with a cmd file for pkgmgr to do all updates without having to type out all of it.

The syntax is:

pkgmgr.exe /l:log_file_name /ip /m:package_directory /norestart 
/o:system_drive_path;offline_Windows_directory_path
echo %errorlevel%

You can echo %errorlevel% to find out if it was successful. 0 = success. (this was mentioned by sn3ak in this topic.

Edited by spacesurfer

Hello spacesurfer!

You need to change your command line like this:

START "Integrate Updates..." /WAIT "%Programfiles%\Windows AIK\Tools\Servicing\pkgmgr.exe" /o:D:\Vista_Work\Mount;D:\Vista_Work\Mount\Windows /n:D:\Vista_Work\Updates\integrate.xml /s:D:\Vista_Work\Sandbox /l:D:\Vista_Work\integrate.log

The problem is, that the first expression in quetes is interpreted as Window title.

Regards,

Martin

Edited by FireGeier

Well I'd kick myself in the arse. I kept removing that title thinking it unnecessary.

Thanks. I got it to work by changing to that directly in batch file. But I'll have to redo it.

Thanks for pointing out the error!

You're welcome!

Belive me... I had to play with it a whole bunch of time to find out about. It's not a problem of pkgmgr. That is a known problem of START command.

BTW... I've described that problem in one of the batchs of VU Batch Modules, but I've not explained that in offline_updates.cmd, so I need to add the hint there, too.

Regards,

Martin

Edited by FireGeier

... That's pretty ingenious.

Well... if you ask me... that is pretty simple. First I did it the manual way. This is described in WAIK help. Than I've checked how the structure of the xml - which is created by WSIM for Updates - is looking like.

Than you just rebuild the structure using ECHO command redirected to an file instead of screen.

Ok... between is little bit try 'n' error but at least very simple.

Is that XML the exact same as one generated by SIM?

Yes, it's the same xml.

Regards,

Martin

@FireGeier

I had to change tokens to 5 in line

For /F "Tokens=5" %%i IN ('FINDSTR ".cab" Sort.txt') DO Call :WriteXML %%i

to get it to work.

I kept getting a bare XML with tokens=4. I looked at the sort.txt and the command prompt windows and what was happening is the file size (displayed as xxx,xxx) was being used as xxx.cab and xxx.xml. I changed it to 6 and no luck. Changed it to 5 and bingo!

Took me forever to figure out what was going wrong.

Also, I did check the file generation by your script and the one by SIM and they are exactly alike.

Now, I can rest in peace.

Hello spacesurfer!

It seems to be, that I missed this point. The output of DIR /OD command depends on the language you're using. I will add an explanation for that inside offline_update.cmd and at Update section of guide.

This is caused by PM/AM Token. This Token does not exist for German based OS. So Token 4 is the file name in German OS, but in English it's Token 5. You're right!

Haven't thought about that, while translating!

Thanks, for your feedback!

Regards,

Martin

FireGeier,

Can you not apply the updates one by one using the individual xml files rather than combining the info from all the xml into one xml?

What I mean is using a command such as:

PUSHD %vupdate%\Temp
FOR %%i IN (*.xml) DO (Call :update %%i)
:update
START "Starting Package Manager" /WAIT "%toolspath%\pkgmgr.exe" /o:"%vmount%;%vmount%\Windows" /n:%vupdates%\Temp\%1 /s:%vsandbox% /l:%vpath%\integrate.txt

Thus, for each xml in temp, it would apply the update sequentially.

This would eliminate the complicated code required to piece together the intergrate.xml.

Also, I'm going to put together an easy-to-use guide for updating based on your scripts. Is that okay? I didn't use your VU modules -- too complicated for me.

Edited by spacesurfer

FireGeier,

Can you not apply the updates one by one using the individual xml files rather than combining the info from all the xml into one xml?

What I mean is using a command such as:

PUSHD %vupdate%\Temp
FOR %%i IN (*.xml) DO (Call :update %%i)
:update
START "Starting Package Manager" /WAIT "%toolspath%\pkgmgr.exe" /o:"%vmount%;%vmount%\Windows" /n:%vupdates%\Temp\%1 /s:%vsandbox% /l:%vpath%\integrate.txt

Thus, for each xml in temp, it would apply the update sequentially.

This would eliminate the complicated code required to piece together the intergrate.xml.

No, that's not possible, cause dependencies between the different updates will only be checked the right way, when using together in ONE xml file!

Also, I'm going to put together an easy-to-use guide for updating based on your scripts. Is that okay? I didn't use your VU modules -- too complicated for me.

Sure that's ok - if you're guide will be for free certainly! However I'm updating it for the moment, too. What is to complicated in your opinion? Would it be necessary to explain it more detailed?

The idea was, that you just need to execute the modules. :unsure:

Regards,

Martin

@FireGeier

BTW, is the site provided by your links your site. It has a problem loading in IE7. Whenever I open it in IE7, IE7 slooooows down and I can't do anything in IE7. Other programs aren't affected, only IE7. The site loads fine in FF.

No, that's not possible, cause dependencies between the different updates will only be checked the right way, when using together in ONE xml file!

I see. Will not try it.

Sure that's ok - if you're guide will be for free certainly!

Of course.

What is to complicated in your opinion?

Well, I'm not a programmer so I don't understand some things like tokens, etc. I do understand that it's necessary to parse the xml's to make it into one. I don't know German so I didn't know what all those VU Batch Modules were for. Since I didn't know, I didn't want to run them.

I did, however, strip your offline_update.cmd, took the necessary parts, modified it for my system folders and it worked without all the other files. So, I was just referring to all the VU Batch files. You're offline_update.cmd is pretty well organized.

Thanks.

Question:

Once you create a new catalog file, what do you do with it? Do you need to inject it back into ISO? Is it necessary?

Edited by spacesurfer

@FireGeier

BTW, is the site provided by your links your site. It has a problem loading in IE7. Whenever I open it in IE7, IE7 slooooows down and I can't do anything in IE7. Other programs aren't affected, only IE7. The site loads fine in FF.

Hmm... it's working on my IE 7. However it could be, cause I'm not a to good HTML programmer. And there is no browser or OS check integrated so far.

So... I know that the site could fail depending on the system.

What is to complicated in your opinion?

Well, I'm not a programmer so I don't understand some things like tokens, etc. I do understand that it's necessary to parse the xml's to make it into one. I don't know German so I didn't know what all those VU Batch Modules were for. Since I didn't know, I didn't want to run them.

I did, however, strip your offline_update.cmd, took the necessary parts, modified it for my system folders and it worked without all the other files. So, I was just referring to all the VU Batch files. You're offline_update.cmd is pretty well organized.

Well... I've translated it to English meanwhile. Could it be, that you're still using the German version or is my English such bad? My English teacher I've had in school years ago, would agree! :lol:

Once you create a new catalog file, what do you do with it? Do you need to inject it back into ISO? Is it necessary?

Well, I've not checked if it is a must. But it's always created inside Vista source folder. So it's automatically inside new ISO once I do any changes.

AFAIK the catalog is important for WSIM only, not during setup. So it should not be necessary to put it back to the ISO.

Regards,

Martin

• 3 weeks later...