Migration of sysprep.inf to sysprep.xml

Per WAIK's Unattended Windows Setup Reference there's a section on migration of sysprep.inf settings and the corresponding Windows Vista setting(s).

So far I've managed to get together a semi-working sysprep.xml using BDD 2007 which I can post if needed. Upon restoration of the image though it's hard to tell if mini-setup is even fully operational because unlike the way mini-setup runs from my XP image the user is never being prompted to specify Domain or Workgroup -- instead the image just fully restores and logs onto the desktop with no prompting.

For example with sysprep.inf (XPsp2) if you specify this:

[identification]

JoinDomain=

DomainAdmin=

DomainAdminPassword=

The user will be prompted to specify a domain join or workgroup join during the mini-setup process. If they choose to place the machine on a domain by typing the domain name, they are then immediately prompted to enter credentials to confirm the join.

I don't see how to implement this same scenario using sysprep.xml in Vista. Per the documentation I'm reading for the 'Domain' , 'Username' and 'Password' elements, they must all be strings but they can't be empty strings.

I also want to have the user prompted to enter the machine name, which is easily accomplished is sysprep.inf (XPsp2) under 'UserData' like this:

[userData]

ComputerName=

Last but not least, my Vista Business volume license key is not being restored. I have specified the key under , <settings pass ="specialize"> in the sysprep.xml

<ProductKey>12345-12345-12345-12345-12345<ProductKey>

However when the image is fully restored I have a different (temporary?) product key in this strange format:

12345-123-1234567-12345

Not to mention the key still requires activation even though it was activated prior to sysprepping the machine! Has anyone figured out at least some of this?

Regards,

Mike