is vista's defragger broke?

dcyphure

i have never seen a defragmentor take 14 hours and still going, xp's never took that long with 50 gigs of video data and i'm only using 10 gigs atm. some kind of graph or timer would be nice to at least let me know its working

anyone know anltyhing about this?

i have that one, but it wont execute in vista, i forget the error message

i used it in xp and really like it but i'm trying to go without much 3rd party software this time round...i just think windows runs better over a period of time like that.

however i would like to know if vista's defragger works fine for anyone else

lol, hey it finally quit...guess it was just heavily fragmented...geeeeeeez, it only ran for about an hour this time...i guess its previous 14 -/+ hour helped, dont think i'll be using this tool too much

Something to keep in mind...

All the new IO subsystems in Vista are far-better scheduled so that an app can't steal 100% utilization of an individual device -- which includes your hard drive. This can also make things process slower, especially such as defrag. But there's also an upside: Microsoft did this so your machine doesn't crawl while things like Indexing, Defragging and Virus Scanning are taking place.

As such, you should be able to do nearly anything else you want while defrag is running in the background, and at the same time notice almost zero performance degredation. Not completely zero of course ;) but nearly...

Also, you shouldn't have to force the defrag -- it will begin auto-defragging everything in the background as you're doing other tasks. You'll notice HD activity occasionally, and if you go look at the new Resource Monitor, you'll sometimes see Defrag running. My first instinct was to kill it, but in the new way of scheduling processes and device usage with Vista, you truly don't notice outside of the flashing disk light and the noise of your heads seeking.

Edited by Albuquerque