Vista updates and Feature-Packs

prathapml

April 10, 2007 Update

What's New:

Major Security Updates:

KB930178 - Vulnerabilities in CSRSS Could Allow Remote Code Execution

Public Updates:

KB931099 - Install this update to resolve an issue in Windows Defender where SpyNet requested samples fail to submit data to Microsoft after you consent to submitting them.

KB905866 - Update for Windows Mail Junk E-mail Filter [April 2007]

KB890830 - Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool - April 2007

Edited by war59312

@All,

Anyone has a direct link to Vista Update KB931099. I am unable to find it on the Microsoft site. It should be a Defender Update. I would like to inject this one in the Vista WIM image. I have already injected other updates succesfully.

Thanks in advance,

Bitfrotter

Again been busy quite a few hours, but neither pkgmgr nor peimg can integrate ALL updates properly with the given methods (winbeta, the above, another topic from FireGeier, spacesurfer). peimg did not allow integration of 50% of my updates and pkgmgr causes peimg /list to give an errormessage and stops after displaying the first update. This is becoming ridiculous. I hope vLite has some integration option soon, because I am getting sick and tired of it. For the record I am integrating into an original install.wim not ran by vLite.

Just curious, did you try the xml method. The proper way is to use pkgmgr with an xml file. Using such method checks for dependencies. Updating each cab one-by-by as done in your integrate.zip file you had for download will not do that.

Ok, seems I have had more luck this time. Only prep option does not seem to work...

peimg /prep c:\vista.image /f
Hulpprogramma voor het instellen van een installatiekopie voor een
vóórinstallatie-omgeving voor Windows
Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation. Alle rechten voorbehouden.

[==========================100,0%========================= ]
Kan de bewerking met statuscode 0x80070005 niet uitvoeren.

Maybe I am doing something wrong or maybe prep is not meant for "install.wim"?

Ok, seems I have had more luck this time. Only prep option does not seem to work...

peimg /prep c:\vista.image /f
Hulpprogramma voor het instellen van een installatiekopie voor een
vóórinstallatie-omgeving voor Windows
Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation. Alle rechten voorbehouden.

[==========================100,0%========================= ]
Kan de bewerking met statuscode 0x80070005 niet uitvoeren.

Maybe I am doing something wrong or maybe prep is not meant for "install.wim"?

Prep is not needed for a full Vista image. Prep is/should only be used with WindowsPE images, ie. such as the ones provided in the WAIK or the boot.wim on the Vista DVD.

It's an issue with the Search Desktop feature which is also found in Vista so that's why I included it. Is an addon for Windows XP and Win2k3. But yes most are having the issue with outlook but not everyone.

Note the fact that you can install it fine without Outlook even being installed on your PC.

Because most users who are having the issue are those who have Outlook 2007 installed, that is why they marked it as such, but really it's an update for the windows component, search desktop.

Anyways, I'll remove it from my list if everyone thinks I should.

Edited by war59312

pkgmgr.exe (x86, version 6.0.6000.16386, 137 KB, use winrar to extract) download - http://www.mytempdir.com/1285147

spacesurfer-

Thats right, i ran this command in an admin-elevated CMD window on an already-running vista ulti x86 OS.

And the command + syntax seem to be perfect, i did not need to make any changes at all. (note: for some strange reason though, the cab gets extracted in the same directory as the CAB, instead of the C:\sandbox )

About integrating, i havent looked into it yet, but personally i'd rather not integrate beta versions (eg: dreamscene) into a production image.

If nuhi could provide a possibility to pause the installation for users to add the updates manually to the image, then that would be a big help I think.
Actually, you could let vLite do its job & then add the updates manually. Or you could add in the updates & then customise down your *.WIM with vLite....

I must be doing somenthing wrong. Can't get the cab file installed. I see that Vista already has pkgmgr in it, but also downloaded the one in the link above, and it is the same one. Here is the command I typed in CMD (run as Admin).

start /w pkgmgr /ip /m:e:\temp\dreamscene\dreamscene.cab /s:e:\temp\sandbox

Would like to get this installed as I don't want to install Dreamscene via update everytime I redo Vista.

@Bjorland.

I asume e:\temp is where you keep your files and is not where you have mounted your Vista-image to with imagex. You need to include the image directory and Windows-directory as well, add the following to the pkgmgr command:

/o:"DRIVE:\MOUNT-DIR;DRIVE:\MOUNT-DIR\Windows"

Also the xml-way (/n:UPDATE.xml) seems to work better than the cabinet way (/e:...).

Did anyone find a link to download the KB931099 Update without going through MS Update? I have looked everyone and cannot seem to find one.

Also, what about direct links to the optional language packs in Ultimate?

Thanks in advance

i was wondering the same thing, cant find any link to KB931099