Building a new Athlon X2 system

morocco31477

I will probably wait for DirectX10 video cards to come down in price. I am not big on video cards, I don't play PC games, but a lot of emulation. So I would actually perfer a fanless video card but don't know much about them. Any opinions? This is what I would order if I was ready to build now.

Computer%202007-02-04.png

Yeah I know it's DirectX9, I'm not going to buy this system, just wanted to put something together to get an idea. I am going to wait for DirectX10 cards to come down in price. Also I want the new 65nm Athlon X2 processors. So I will probably build in the summer.

But does anyone have any opinions on fanless video cards?

But does anyone have any opinions on fanless video cards?

Take a look at the Gigabytes or ASUS models, they have some and not more expensive then the not fanless versions. But as far as I know it goes up to 7600GS, so yeah you need to wait till the 8300/8600 come out. One thing you got right, nVidia; ATi still gets way more hot...

It could help if you tell us what you are going to do with that system so we could advice you better ;).

• 2 weeks later...

I just built a new one and chose to go AMD route even though I wuld have liked Intel but too expensive.

I went for a decent mobo the Asus M2N-SLI Deluxe because it has lots of support such as 7 Sata connectors and 10 uSB plus it can run 2 Nvidea GPUs in a single system using PCI Express. Plusw lots more.

AMD Athlon 64 X 2 Dual Retail

Nvidea GForce 7300GS (I will update this shortly as son as funds allow)

1 gig DDR2 going up to 2 gig shortly then run dual memory.

2 X Sata 160 gig and 1 X 200 gig Sata Plus 2 X 250 Gig IDE Drives.

Pioneer 11 16x IDE DVD writer Plus Liteon SH-16A7S Sata DVD Writer.

Belkin Wireless Card.

I then got a Hiper Modular PSU HPU-4K580-Mk2 type R SLI ready PSU (Costly @ £65 but worth every penny)

Runs sweet as a nut and when I get chance to upgrade it will have wings. recommend.:thumbup