Vista on a CD but how big is a CD?

LeveL

683Mb = 700,000,000 bytes (roughly)

700Mb = 716,800,000 bytes (worked out by 700 x 1,024,000)

I think I have worked that out wrong somehow, heres the size of my VistaLite ISO....

cdsizestv6.png

Is that 2Mb under or 32.5Mb over?

Please tell me its 2Mb under! I only have 2 CD-R's left and don't wanna waste one. :blushing:

Which one is right, I mean what is the maximum a "700Mb" CD can hold?

I have had AVI files someone has given me and said "its over 700Mb but just

burn it and it will be OK" and indeed - it is OK... its pretty confusing.

Edited by LeveL

Actually, you should calculate 700MB as (700 * (1024*1024)), since there are 1024 bytes in a kilobyte, and 1024 kilobytes in a megabyte. You'll get 734003200, which is basically what windows reports. The 1507328 bytes difference is for the CDFS filesystem, I can only assume.

Edited by DamonP

Why not you use more then 700Mb capacity C.D? Like 730Mb or 800Mb C.D .

If you have only 700Mb CD-R then ther is option in nero to write 12Mb more data into CD-R.

This option is perhaps :thumbdown

" Enable generation of short lead-out"

use this option anable to get 12Mb more space. :whistle:

I know you're probably after a slimmed down version, but you can get the full version of Vista onto CD. Well, 5 CD's as spanned images.

Its only really useful if you have only a CD drive, but am I right in presuming you already have one and just want a light version of Vista?

If you have only 700Mb CD-R then ther is option in nero to write 12Mb more data into CD-R.

This option is perhaps :thumbdown

" Enable generation of short lead-out"

use this option anable to get 12Mb more space. :whistle:

Yeah I heard it can bust your burner :o

I know you're probably after a slimmed down version, but you can get the full version of Vista onto CD. Well, 5 CD's as spanned images.

Its only really useful if you have only a CD drive, but am I right in presuming you already have one and just want a light version of Vista?

Yes, but my only question is about what can fit on a 700Mb CD, 700 Million bytes or 732 Million bytes, lol.

When 732 Million bytes = just under 700Mb I can only assume its safe to do that, just like this...

cdsizestv6.png

HD manufacturers like WD are cheap bastards that state size in Mb, which is actually x1000, x1000 bytes. A CD is really 700MB, so x1024, x1024. However some other data needs to be burned to the CD as well, like a Table of contents, so in reality, you will have less than 700MB available, but you can always try to overburn. This should pose no problem in the majority of cases, but it is recommended to test your CD afterwards as is possible with vLite or some other tools like CD/DVD-Speed.

Edited by Jeronimo

HD manufacturers like WD are cheap bastards that state size in Mb

AFAIK they all do this.

I had a 250Gb Maxtor that was in fact 233Gb. :P

Same as they say SATA2 runs @ 300Mb/s when people test them it is actually 80Mb/s.

80Mb/s, huh, thats not really that much faster than IDE on DMA 6.

683Mb = 700,000,000 bytes (roughly)

700Mb = 716,800,000 bytes (worked out by 700 x 1,024,000)

I think I have worked that out wrong somehow, heres the size of my VistaLite ISO....

Is that 2Mb under or 32.5Mb over?

Please tell me its 2Mb under! I only have 2 CD-R's left and don't wanna waste one. :blushing:

Which one is right, I mean what is the maximum a "700Mb" CD can hold?

Letme give you answers:

700MB CD holds 700MB of files

you are 2MB under

your image file (if you are showing the iso size) can be about 4MB smaller, in that case, could be 6MB under, i check that when i did my first small ISO from XP, i had 192MB but i made the iso and i saw 196MB (4MB over) after i burn it i check the CD size, it was 192MB.

You can overburn a CD with nero burning rom, the most i could do was 716MB you can calculate 716*1024 but that doesnt matter to me if that gives you 750,000,000 b because 700Mb (683Mb) is not 700MB, go ahead and burn 700MB or 703MB if your burning app tells you...

I dont like too much typin without givin you an answer...

Have Phun!

Edited by Maxfutur

Strange enough I can not burn with vLite from an image or directly. I get the following error:

"Write Failed! Hardware Error "9216"

The disc I use is 700MB and my ISO is 659MB. Also it shows Make ISO after erasing (erase is still the selected option).

Edited by Jeronimo

Finally 1 of the new burning tools I tried, told me that image of 659MB does not fit the required 658MB. Still CDR Tools also does not allow me with overburn to burn the disc properly :-/. Seems I will have to wait for the next release of vLite and hope it removes some additional stuff for me.