No DHCP on winPE ramdisk

neuro42

Okay ran the Windows AIK worked through a couple of issues with documentation (had to add {bootmgr} to one of hte last bcdedit sets

Anyway.

Get it booted up on my removable media LESS laptop. Ditched the standard boot file for pxeboot.com (going to ditch that too so I dont have to F12 tGet the command prompt). Have access to the files on the ramdrive. I am familiar with net use, as I managed to get windows XP installed by using pxelinux to load a netboot barts PE floppy image, and net use to the share and running winnt.

Now I would like to go full straight up correct net install (without RIS)

So made the PE disk. Get it on to the laptop and...

No network capability whatsover. System Error 1231.

I have read 5 differnet explanaiations and tried 4.5 of them :)

Would have tried the 5th, but it invlovs making an answer file and that advice was 2 years old. I am using PE 2. But I tried

I ran Win SIM and tried to create a unattended.XML file so that I could preset hte DHCP settings. Cant jsut create one so I load the winpe.wim and getthe catalouge error. Ignore and I can not make any changed after I navigate down to ipv4 tcp/ip settings.

Argh

Any ideas? I just want network access so I can do a real install and maybe even do a winFLP install (it is a older laptop).

thanks

Oh yah should point out none of the NET works as ipconfig returns no values on anything. ping returns system error. Can I build an old school SIF file fro mthe XP days? I read the unattend.XML is basically impossible to hand code...

Edited by neuro42

Yes you can add the drivers in offline mode by using "peimg /inf=Inf_path"

or load the drivers in Online mode by using "drvload.exe inf_path "

No if your using any of the broadcom drivers that have a the virtual bus ie Multifuction types like the nc373i you will need to load the ris drivers and not the normal drivers.

As said before all of this is in the Winpe.chm within the windows aik dir.

You can get the ris drivers either from an earlier post or head over to the broadcome site (depending if you have broadcom)

not sure what card you have you can run devon or driverquery

Is on a Dell Latitude c400 so the driver is the 3com 59x serires..

I got the drivers and am rebuilding the image now. Mount using imageX and then using the /inf method. HAving a little trouble with it though as I cant find the finished .wim file.

I did it before so obviously im a just missing something.

thanks for the help guys.

Dont know if this will help you, but normally the process goes like this, remember the wimfile should be a working winpe which has been sealed previously.

imagex /mountrw wimfile imageindex path

peimg /inf ....

imagex /commit /unmount path

Now the drivers have been added to the wimfile

Edited by ubernerd

Dont know if this will help you, but normally the process goes like this, remember the wimfile should be a working winpe which has been sealed previously.

imagex /mountrw wimfile imageindex path

peimg /inf ....

imagex commit /unmount path

Now the drivers have been added to the wimfile

Yah I just tried doing that (followed all the Docs)

Even went so far as to use C:\winpe_x86 instead of D: where I was doing all my stuff before.

Rany copy arch C:\

imagex /mountrw

peimg /prep

peimg /inf

imagex /unmount

copy c:\winpe_x86\winpe.wim d:\PXE\boot

Netbooted laptop and still nothing.

imagex /mount D:\PXE\boot\winpe.wim

Browse to drivers folder and my new drivers are not their even though it said during the /inf that they installed successfully :unsure:

also tried running drvload... but got a no such command error... so I am assuming thats a command for after you boot up

(yah just tried it on laptop but since the INF never actually installed to the WIM file, I am at a loss)

imagex /mountrw

peimg /prep

peimg /inf

imagex /unmount

Do not run /prep before you run /inf

and remember to use imagex with /commit /unmount to actually make changes to the wim file.

Edited by ubernerd

imagex /mountrw

peimg /prep

peimg /inf

imagex /unmount

Do not run /prep before you run /inf

and remember to use imagex with /commit /unmount to actually make changes to the wim file.

Yah i knew about /commit.

But couldnt run /inf without running /prep first as it was considered "Not a valid windows image file"