Which is a good Linux For Me?

FoxHound

I am very tired of Windows 98SE and want to get a new Linux Based Operating System. The Problem is that I really don't have a good PC..(See Signature for Specs.)

500MHz-AMD K6 MMX~3DNow

384MB RAM

Trident Non-3D Video Card (1MB)-Only Supports Max 800x600 16bit Resolution

Based on this information above, what Linux Operating system is made for 800x600(16Bit) Res?

I really don't care what version.

(Please don't tell me to get a better system because I can obviously see that)

-Thanks You- :thumbup

well Ubuntu is a good linux distro to start of woth, but i don't know how it will handle on your system

there should be soe specs o http://www.ubuntu.com/

EDIT: it doesn't say anything about GFX cards but your CPU is enough and your RAM is plentiful so you should have no problem with it

Edited by Cheeze

ReactOS isn't a...an OS because its so underdeveloped.I've tried the Live CD and my video card wasn't compatible with it.

I never heard of Dream and Vector...

I still have other possibilities.Which one to pick???

Debian

Suse

Slax(Install Version, if any)

Linspire

xunbutu

RedHat(Debain)

Slax is only available as in Live CD (last time I checked) but I want a Linux OS that is not just sufficient enough to run my Computer but to provide many software good ones, which is why I'm leaning heavily on Unbuntu.

Slax is only available as in Live CD (last time I checked) but I want a Linux OS that is not just sufficient enough to run my Computer but to provide many software good ones, which is why I'm leaning heavily on Unbuntu.

Slax can be installed to hard drive with the make_disk.sh script in the cd root.

Gentoo 2006.1 LiveCD version may be a nice choice. IMO: Windows gurus migrating to Linux may find it easier to learn to operate the Linux so they may not have to go through an easier and limited user interface to get going. Linux is all about freedom...

BTW i am also migrating from Windows98SE to Linux, and have ordered Gentoo 2006.1 LiveCD.

Yes but it only provides only bare skeletal version of the OS. There isn't much support for the many hardwares out there and doesn't run many Windows Applications(i.e. Photoshop)

You'll never run such apps under linux imho. You can use the gimp though. The interesting thing is it can now take advantage of photoshop plugins.

Debian

Slackware

SLICK/SUPER, apparented to opensuse

And have you taken a look at Slax KillBill Edition ?

• 4 weeks later...

hi

I know its confusing with all the choices u get with linux , I,m also a noob when it comes to linux and i,ve also got an old system

p3 733,

15gb

128ram

and from experience the only distro able to run decently were

slax -- but i could not install it

puppy linux --same case no hard drive installer

dream linux 2.2 -- works like a charm

and my personal favourite

pclinuxos2007 tr2 --- everything just works ,even the layout is like windows ,I,m using it and have installed it on my friends pc , he,s not a computer guy ,so evey time hes in trouble , i have to reinstall windows,and do a spring clean etc

I actually made a dual boot with xp but he says he prefers pclinux2007 , it really is that easy

By the way i,m downloading pclinux2007 tr3 right now and will keep u posted on how i find it.And plz don,t be put off by the beta release , its more stable than some of the other distros i tried .

Plz do tell ,how it went with the distro hunt

Thanxxx