Load Custom NTUSER.DAT

Cheeze

hi,

do any of you know how i can make explorer load a different/custom location, NTUSER.DAT say for example C:\USERHIVE.DAT as this would be really helpfull

Thanks

EDIT:

lol i the Windows XP forum to 11111 topics...

Edited by Cheeze

Not really sure I understand what you want or even why you want it. But....

In the registry editor you can load an unload hives. Run REGEDIT > click on HKLM > File > Load Hive > browse to the NTUSER.DAT you want to edit. When it asks for a "key name" you can type anything you like... for eg. TEMP or TEMPUSERHIVE.

Just load any .dat file, edit it to your likings and save it again by File > UNLOAD HIVE.

'nuff

The NTUSER.DAT contains the HKEY_CURRENT_USER registry hive. By loading another one you're effectively throwing all your settings out the door and loading another one. This cannot be done with Windows Explorer. Just log on as a different user.

But from your post I have the impression you're in a corporate environment and the IT dept. have enforced policies and you're not happy with them... Am I right? :)

you are right about the policies, i am a school boy the school network have put ceratin policies, the only one i don't want it the one thats stopping me from right clicking! :thumbdown

i found a way around it, but now they have fixed it :(

Nothing to be ashamed of, Cheeze. :) If I were at school, I'd do the same. And at my job I'm a domain admin for all EMEA (Europe, Middle East, Afrika) so no point in me hacking stuff. Let me get back to you on this. I may have some nifty tools that will assist you in your quest for a right click.

Cheers and have a good weekend.

Oh by the way... almost forgot. There's computer policies and user policies. If it's a computer policy there's no point in hacking the NTUSER.DAT.

Edited by enuffsaid

Cheeze, they have those policies enforced at your school for a reason. ;)

And Snuff'n'Stuff's "nifty tools" will likely result in you getting banned from the PCs or even expelled. I remember when I was in high school and someone got expelled for breaking computer policy just once. Keep yourself out of hot water and keep the right-clicking at home. I don't agree with the policy but its better to be safe than sorry.

I'm sure Cheesy is aware of the implications of his actions...

And "Snuff'nStuff's"?!?! Are you lowering yourself to calling me names now? Oh boy...

Just like you're sure that PageFault wanted to get admin access for good intentions.

Then don't call me Jerry. My name is Jeremy. You can read, do it properly.

Have a good weekend, Cheeze. :hello:

Jer or Jerry would be an abbreviation of your name just as 'nuff would be for mine.

Snuff'n'stuff is just pure name calling. You're really showing your true colors here, Jeremy.

Edited by enuffsaid

• 2 weeks later...

well i've already been excluded once, bceuase of my previous method i wasn't excluded because of what they did just the filename... LOL, but i have learned my lesson, no i put my files on a Memory Stick YAY