Flash Video Player and win98

Analada

That player won't work for W98 and I don't think the author will ever update it either.

I'd suggest the self run VLC player will play most flv's

or better yet, also in the works is that MPC is said that their next version will play flv's too

That player won't work for W98 and I don't think the author will ever update it either.

I'd suggest the self run VLC player will play most flv's

or better yet, also in the works is that MPC is said that their next version will play flv's too

Thanks. Although the VLC player will play my flv files it only will do so manually (can't double-click). Can live with that but also the navigation doesn't work. It consistently starts playing from the beginning. That's ok for short clips but a bit of a pain for long films. Quality is good though and no synch problems.

MPC is?

Thanks. Although the VLC player will play my flv files it only will do so manually (can't double-click). Can live with that but also the navigation doesn't work. It consistently starts playing from the beginning. That's ok for short clips but a bit of a pain for long films. Quality is good though and no synch problems.

MPC is?

Right, and personally I wouldn't want to associate VLC to any file type and I'd rather drop the file into it since it can be used for so many audio/video file types ..I use the VLC self-run Non-Install version as a 'tester' more than anything else since it's a great tester of audio/video file types and most time plays incomplete videos where others will not. If you want to use VLC easier for yor flv files then just create a shortcut to it's vlc.exe and place that shortcut into your folder of C:\WINDOWS\SendTo ..this way you can right click on any file and have the option to 'SendTo' the flv player which makes it quick and convieient to play. I don't recomend going into Windows file types options and associating it since I think going forward the sendto leaves you with more flexable non-comital options for other dedicated players.

MPC is Media Player Classic - it too is a non-install player that extra you can associate filetypes with it, but Don't! (unless you're hip to the subject and want to) It has a very small footprint comparatively (filesize) and therefore appreciated; it's different than VLC. You see every players has its unique benifits. MPC is also a great player for many other filetypes sometimes not able by others like mpeg1 etc where you don't want to install seperate codecs - it's great to also put this into your SendTo folder. Again though MPC is suppose to in it's next release pick up the playing of newer .flv files (however if you install the ffdshow codec then MPC will work with .flv - however my preference will wait until MPC picks up the flv extension on its own merit) Here's is one of many LINKs to read some or get it.

I don't mean to be quick vague answers but honestly this whole subject can be endless!!! and it has different priorities for each persons mindset and so therefore each person has their own ideas.. I like my own though <g>

ps and btw, my replies were only to talk about how to play flv files when they are saved 'locally' and play them offline - not online - I thought you knew I was talking about that.

The latest adobe 'browser' flash player will play all your youtube flash video's just fine, it's just it won't let you play them off-line if you cop'd the flv from your TIF or other fetch techniques to get them locally. The separate adobe windows flash player will not play the latest flv files, and so is why the subject of how to play flv files arises

Edited by endeavor

Yes, thanks 'endeavor', i realised your reply was about 'offline' playing and so were my comments.

As for online, Firefox (1.5.0.9) with plug-in for flash movies works great. I recently installed the videodownloader extension to download google videos. Again this works great. So now with offline as well as online sorted out everything's fine :-)