Unattended install worked - almost :-(

My idea was to try an easy one - the "extra" thing I was going to try was making an "silent" install of a videodriver (45.23_win2kxp_international_whql.exe).

I followed the instructions from www.MSFN.org/unattended.

Result - everything worked fine - except for the videodriver - afterwards I checked everything again and guess what I found?

There is an inconsistency between the the different pages at this site :)

On the Resources page, from which I copied the winnt.sif it says as follows

OemPnPDriversPath="\Drivers\Catalyst3_6\2KXP_INF;Drivers\Catalyst3_6\TV_Capture\WDM_XP"

That backslash does not appear on any of the other pages...

Question - can this be the reason that my silent install of the videodriver didn´t work?

Thanx in advance

/ SwedenXP

ps. Virtual PC is really cool - but also really slow... any tips on how to speed it up?

ppss. include my winnt.sif

;SetupMgrTag

[Data]

AutoPartition=0

MsDosInitiated="0"

UnattendedInstall="Yes"

[unattended]

UnattendMode=FullUnattended

OemSkipEula=Yes

OemPreinstall=Yes

TargetPath=\WINDOWS

Repartition=No

UnattendSwitch="no"

WaitForReboot="No"

DriverSigningPolicy=Ignore

OemPnPDriversPath="\Drivers\Nvidia_45.23"

[GuiUnattended]

AdminPassword=*

EncryptedAdminPassword=NO

OEMSkipRegional=1

TimeZone=105

OemSkipWelcome=1

[userData]

ProductKey=Secret

FullName="Test1"

OrgName="Test"

ComputerName=*

[Display]

Xresolution=1024

YResolution=768

[TapiLocation]

CountryCode=46

[RegionalSettings]

LanguageGroup=13,1

[identification]

JoinWorkgroup=ARBETSGRUPP

[Networking]

InstallDefaultComponents=Yes

[Components]

msmsgs=off

msnexplr=off

freecell=off

hearts=off

minesweeper=off

pinball=off

solitaire=off

spider=off

zonegames=off

[shell]

DefaultStartPanelOff = Yes

DefaultThemesOff = Yes

There is no such variable as "OemSigningPolicy"

DriverSigningPolicy is correct.

Keep in mind that some video drivers will not install using this technique. You may need to find an INF version of your drivers for this to work. If you are unable to install your drivers using Device Manager instead of the "setup.exe" file included then it will probably not work for you.

@SwedenXP

in the main preference window untick the pause pc's when in background, under pc settings.

then in perfermance have divide time equally and run at maxium speed selected then this should speed it up in version 5.2 (windows version).

this works very well on an Athlon XP2400+ not overclocked.

"don't know" !?!?! WTF

Let me give you a little of my background. I have been doing unattended installations for a year and a half. I have read every single MSKB article regarding unattended installations. I dare you to check the unattended installation file included on the Windows XP CD. You will see the official variables. oemsigningpolicy is not one of them. I administer a RIS server and Windows 2000 and Windows XP images and have deployed them on over 500 PCs. Now... I am going to say it again...

Are your drivers in c:\drivers\ during the install? My WINNT.SIF looks like:

OemPnPDriversPath=Windows\PnP\Aud;Windows\PnP\CHP; <ect>

I place my drivers in \$OEM$\$1\PnP\ <add subdirectories here> in my install point so that they are available for PnP during install

Also, %SYSDRV% is prepended to all paths stated in the "OemPnPDriversPath=" tag.

My WINNT.SIF works just fine without the leading "\"

"don't know" !?!?!  WTF 

Let me give you a little of my background.  I have been doing unattended installations for a year and a half.  I have read every single MSKB article regarding unattended installations.  I dare you to check the unattended installation file included on the Windows XP CD.  You will see the official variables.  oemsigningpolicy is not one of them.  I administer a RIS server and Windows 2000 and Windows XP images and have deployed them on over 500 PCs.  Now...  I am going to say it again... 

So... do you feel big now? lol

no, I was just giving my background. I am not a 12 year old who stumbled upon this method and decided "oh, I'm cool... I can do this." I have professional experience. I hate being told by someone that I am wrong when I know that I am not.

edg21: do YOU feel big now!?

no, I was just giving my background.  I am not a 12 year old who stumbled upon this method and decided "oh, I'm cool...  I can do this."  I have professional experience.  I hate being told by someone that I am wrong when I know that I am not.

edg21: do YOU feel big now!?

I always feel big :) But that has nothing to do with you. But ya know what... I know some 12yr olds that can probably do your job :rolleyes: