concern with using Vlite

dcyphure

i havnt tried out vlite yet, but if vista has limited activations (last i hear its 2) then

how is experimenting with future vlite versions and activations work? like say i activate vista and want to use a newer vlite so i'd have to reinstall everything and activate yet again

when i did it in xp it was no biggie after 120 days i could activate online again, dunno how that works in vista, plus many of my nlited installs i'd later didnt like or want the features of a newer nlite so i'm curious as to how you guys are doing it?

It's simple...how long is the trial period before you have to activate, why not activate in a few days when you see that everything is right.

Also we test in virtual machines too.

Well, I use all my 'test' images of nLite/vLite in VMWare before installing it on the host PC. During the installation of Vista, I just uncheck the option for activating since I will only have that image installed for a day or two before I delete it and recreate the image with different changes.

nuhi beat me to it :)

Activation on the same pc is not limited I think. Last I heard directly from Microsoft is that Retail versions are bound to you for life, a OEM versio is linked to your pc (components). There are always exceptions for this last one that can be discussed with Micsrosoft: for instance PC is damaged by lightning and components are replaced by different comparable components (not upgrade components).

Why I know? I contacted Microsoft Netherlands by phone, because I want to replace my current 32-bit PC in the near future (when a Budget DX10 card comed out: Nvidia 8600, ATi X2000GT?), but do not want to pay €90 twice for a 32-bit OEM and a 64-bit OEM version or once €215 for a Retail version. Now I will keep using my RC2 key with the appropriate hack for a month or 2 until I have bought my new PC. I activated my PC with all kinds of Vista versions and if Microsoft has a problem with this, then they will most likely let me know one way or the other. I even told them one the phone as I believe them to be reasonable. Better to have someone buy 1 license instead of 2, than to sell no license at all.

Edited by nuhi