Heatsink compound/thermo grease

alucke

I am currently using thermo grease from Fanner on my cpu. Running XP my cpu idle temp was about 36 celcius. Running Vista my cpu idle temp is about 48 celcius. Would changing the thermo grease from the Fanner brand to a better brand lower my cpu idle temp?

Edited by alucke

Not really. What you need to do is get a new CPU heatsink and fan, or the thermal paste or pad is dried out. I'd suggest:

Arctic Cooling Freezer

Scythe Ninja

Or a good Zalman one.

For thermal paste you want the AS5. :thumbup

Also make sure that you have nothing in your case obstructing the airflow, at least as best you can. The primary concern at this point re-applying the paste (if you haven't already done so or the PC is new) and a new heatsink.

I am currently using thermo grease from Fanner on my cpu. Running XP my cpu idle temp was about 36 celcius. Running Vista my cpu idle temp is about 48 celcius. Would changing the thermo grease from the Fanner brand to a better brand lower my cpu idle temp?

The answer is: no...

Why? By changing the thermo stuff on your CPU you will not get it back to 36oC. Problem is that you are idle and not the PC, Vista is using more CPU power then XP andn doing so many more things in the background then you would like, we already know that. Take a look at vLite in the nLite forum here on MSFN.org, it will help you to get Vista slimmed down and if you are lucky you will get more CPU power back; coverting in less CPU heat.

Also try to use less visual effects, it could be your VGA card that is heating up the system more then you think, if that is the case then make sure you have a good airflow and a fan in be back/top that blows out the warm air.

Just my 2 cents there ;).

you would. ad now your telling me as5 doesnt lower temps at all?

The thermal paste is the middle-man. Thermal paste simply allows for heat transfer. It also dries out after long-term usage which affects proper heat transfer and causes temperatures to increase. Cleaning it off with isopropyl rubbing alcohol and tissue paper or q-tips and reapplying new paste will resolve this. "Wear and tear".

Alucke, I also have a 3400+ and run Vista on a 754 ,I had a Modded XP-90 (that i did myself ) then went for the Big Typhoon, both with AS5 torqued the B/T down 3 times to snug it up ,and still could not get the temps that I was getting

with the XP-90 that I modded (vista rtm ultimate 39c at Idle ) with speed fan ,and core temp I have never seen the 3400+

mobile get over 45c ! yea that right .Also both heat sinks are installed by thumb screws, no pressure poping on like yours,

specially with a lidless chip ,also my runs 24/7 at 2803Mhz @11x multi. not bad ha > for your chip you need a thumbscrew

type heatsink .

754 -3400+ CG Mobile @ x11_2803Mhz = 255, 1.57v .

QS rating 4525+ Rev. SH7-CG = AMN3400BIX5AR

March 2004- stepping 10

DFI NF3-UT 250Gb

G.Skill ZX -2Gb

Modded XP-90 (Torqued Down ) 34c to 38c XP-PRO

AS5 39c to 45c Vista

BFG 7800 GS = 515/1460

Thermaltake 680 psu PurePower

3) Maxtor 6L 300R0 300Gb

Thermaltake Tsunami