Networking problem.. help!

iobilly

Guys, I’d like to ask for your help!!

1. Test your connection between two computers

2. Indicate the protocol you used and what windows version(as well as hardware configurations, hub/switch/router, cabling, network interface card, hdd etc)

3. Use FreeMeter’s Disk throughput monitor (http://www.tiler.com/freemeter/Download/1_license.php) (it’s a freeware) to test how fast files get transfered between pcs

4. Indicate the average disk activity

Im having problems, and I’m trying to isolate what the problem is. I have 3 computers at home with a CNET 8-port 10/100 network switch all connected with Cat5e UTP cables. The NICs are: CNET 10/100, D-Link 10/100, and Intel Pro 10/100. I’m also using IPX/SPX (NWLink), with File and Printer sharing unbinded from TCP/IP (I cant use TCP IP to share files since I have multiple IPs – my ISP gives 3 of them for free for one account). Now, I usually get only 5~6MB/s transfer speed, even if everything’s set at full duplex mode. A few days ago, I tried to isolate the problem. I made a crossover cable and connected two pcs together. I didn’t change the protocols and I STILL get 5~6MB/s transfer rate. I thought maybe it’s the fault of the IPX/SPX protocol so I removed them from both computers and I used Internet Connection Sharing to connect the two computers. I get a SLIGHT improvement about 6~7MB/s transfer rate. And then I also tried to use Network bridging but its speed is 6~7MB/s. I tried to use both CNET and DLINK to connect to the Intel NIC with no difference.

Why can’t I get the speed to at LEAST 10MB/s???? 100mbits/sec is 12MB/s so where is my problem sourced??? Am I the only one experiencing this problem? Or what? Any suggestions people? Thanks!

btw, All computers use Windows XP. With P3-933MHz 80Gig 7200RPM HDD and a Compaq 2800AP 1.4Ghz P4M Laptop.

When I do some file transfering between my 2 PCs, connected to a 4 switched ports Linksys router, I usually get around 60 mb/s (around 7.5 MB/s). We're having almost the same speeds.

But, my Ethernet cable is doing some turns on itself (because it was too long and I didn't want to cut it) and it running on 70% of its length close to a TV coaxial cable (even if shielded, there's some leaks that affect the speed of the Ethernet connection).

Maybe that's where lies your problem: do your cables run along some electric cables or any other electro-magnetic field emettor (anything that's electric, like motors or neons).

Are you cables over 100 meters long? If your cables are too long, you will lose some speed (you may even lose the connection if the cables are way too long).

Also, you said that all of your PCs have public IP addresses. Maybe there are some broadcast coming from the internet that slows down your computer a little.

Otherwise, your network seems ok, but 100 megabit/second is the theorical maximum speed achieved in a perfect environment.

6-7mb?  :rolleyes:

I can and have only been able to get 1.2mB transfer for all the years I have ever networked my PC together at home. Don't know what else I can add to this one, sorry.

Maybe your home network is running on 10 megabit/seconds, when converted into megabytes, that 1.25 megabytes/second. :)

I am going to go out on a limb here but if you have your NICs set to Auto Detect or Auto Select/ Hardware Default, you are only going to go as fast as the Hub/Switch device is set to by default. I would set all the NICs manually to 100MB/Full Duplex and if you can.. set the switch ports to the same speeds You did mention that you are in Full Duplex, but neglected to mention the speed setting. I would hate to assume such a thing.

• 2 months later...
I am going to go out on a limb here but if you have your NICs set to Auto Detect or Auto Select/ Hardware Default, you are only going to go as fast as the Hub/Switch device is set to by default.  I would set all the NICs manually to 100MB/Full Duplex and if you can.. set the switch ports to the same speeds  You did mention that you are in Full Duplex, but neglected to mention the speed setting.  I would hate to assume such a thing.

ive done it, set the 2 NICs to 100Mbps Full Duplex, however the problem is still the same. Even changed Switch to DLINK, same figures. im stumped.......

I use autodetect between my two PCs and my switch, and the day I selected full duplex/100 megabits/sec, my network slowed down. So I think we're better off with auto detection.

Nevertheless, I think you're network is doing fine.

Perhaps you should use STP or fiber optics instead (ot even Gigabit ethernet over CAT5e cables)

hahah gigabit may still be a long while, i have to get those new intel mobos with CSA. yeah when i used 100mbps full duplex it slowed a tad bit slower, however only a few hundred kilobytes per sec...

i just want to know what the problem is.. its one of those things u just want to know... hahah