Install Components afterwards

darksen

Hello,

first i want to say, that vLite is an very useful tool and it's amazing how much waste a "normal" Vista-User has to install (f.e. 1 gig for asian language support which a lot of people won't ever need)

But here comes my question: If i install Vista from a vLite-modificated Version and some day i need a component which was removed by vLite. Is it possible to install it afterwards from a "Original-Full-Vista-DVD" ?

I think you can never be sure if you will need something you removed from the installation.

Greets,

Darksen

Components are very complicated in terms of file locations and registry entries, but most of all security permissions. So I would have to say only reinstall would guarantee properly installed component, unless you want to spend couple of hours doing it manually.

If you have any doubt about some component just leave it then, it's easier to remove more on next reinstall than it is to be forced to reinstall to return some.

I'll try to help by making more and more compatibility options.

From the times of nLite only thing I needed and removed but wished I didn't was VBScript once for some program autoupdate feature, got the DLL from the full XP. I don't think there is too much risk other than runtime of being needed unexpectedly.

I dont have such specific understanding in how windows manages the components, but i thought about the think that f.e. in XP it's possible to install windows-components afterwards in the Control Panel - Software - Windows Components.

Unfortunately i didn't take a look in the Software Section in Vista, when i had it installed so i dont know if such option is available but couldn't it be possible, that f.e. i check the box for games in Vista and it asks me for the Original-DVD and installs it. Something like that was possible with XP. Is it also in Vista ?

Greets

Vista has it's own list of available components in the Control Panel - Programs - Windows Features, but it's only few.

One note, to have even those keep the Components Cache component in vLite.

And for the custom installation of components via Control Panel is impossible for us because the so called packages are signed.

I'll repeat with the risk of being boring but I don't see what's the problem of writing down what you don't need over some time. Install full Vista first if you are not sure and when you see something like Tablet PC and that you never use it why not remove it on next reinstall without any risk. But then don't be greedy and start removing stuff only because you saw how much space they take.

I wanted to burn Vista on CD but some things were just too big. So now i just have to give up the games, but maybe sometime im mange to reinstall them.

OK thank you for your help and go on with the good work on vLite :)

uhm, ok now i'm totally dissapointed. i just installed vista in a virtual machine with my CD ISO WITHOUT games ... after install, i wennt to control panel - software and checked the windows games to reinstall them, as i said in a post above. and surprisingly vista installed the games!!

But how can this be, if i removed them with vLite ??

Can somebody explain this to me ?

Sorry my fault, removed just the Premium Games.

But now im wondering why the Standard-Games weren't installed automatically ..

Anyway, thats not important anymore. I can't use Vista normally because the ATI Catalyst 7.1 can't find any compatible Hardware although i have a Radeon 9800. Even when i try manually to install the Driver, the Device Manager says the Standard-VGA-Driver is the most actual driver for my Graphics Card .. lol .. Don't know if it's because i removed the Display Drivers in vLite ...

I think i'll wait till the first Service Pack or something...

Greets and thanks again for help

Anyway, thats not important anymore. I can't use Vista normally because the ATI Catalyst 7.1 can't find any compatible Hardware although i have a Radeon 9800. Even when i try manually to install the Driver, the Device Manager says the Standard-VGA-Driver is the most actual driver for my Graphics Card .. lol .. Don't know if it's because i removed the Display Drivers in vLite ...

That is strange, since ATI drivers 7.1 supports Radepn 9500 and up.

I have Radeon 9600 and I integrated drivers with vLite and they work.

Maybe Vista does not have driver for your motherboard, eg CPU to AGP.

That is strange, since ATI drivers 7.1 supports Radepn 9500 and up.

I have Radeon 9600 and I integrated drivers with vLite and they work.

Maybe Vista does not have driver for your motherboard, eg CPU to AGP.

I just installed Vista from complete DVD to test some things.

So now first I can say, the Catalyst Drivers still not work. So it's not a problem regarding vLite.

Just for info, i have a Asus A7N8XE-Deluxe and a Sapphire Radeon 9800 Pro Atlantis. In the past Beta Builds there were the same problems with the Beta Drivers, but there you could still install manually and Vista found the Hardware. But now it doesn't work at all... And all this with Final Vista Drivers in Vista Final ... :angry:

(I know this is off-topic so i will open up another Thread in the right section to this topic and will end this point here)

The second thing, just for completition is the thing about the games. Although i installed Vista completely, the games still weren't installed. Not Basic nor Premium. So again it's not a problem about vLite. You have to reinstall the games manually afterwards. Also i dont know, which parts were also not installed and i don't know if this is just a problem with my MSDNAA-Version of Vista or generally a "feature" of Vista Business or something else. Maybe this problem will repeat sometime somewhere in another thread.. For now i will have to live with that.

At least, to get back to topic, in the next time i will test how it's about installing components in Windows-Features that have not been installed from your vLite-ISO. So they can securley stay removed from the ISO, knowing that you will be able to install them an other time without reinstalling the whole system or to mess with system-specific things like nuhi mentioned in the second post.