Is XP x64 worth it?

I'm in the process of getting a 64-bit dual core PC :)

I know this is a subjective question, but, having read about incompatibilities/lack of support for win XP x64,

Should I get win XP x64 or install win2k3 x86 (I have an eval. copy)?

I would guess or hope that the compatibility/3rd party software support for win XP x64 will improve over time,

perhaps related to Vista uptake - is this a valid assumption?

Will Vista 3rd-party software run well on win XP x64?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

PS: I would prefer not to run Vista - not interested in eye-candy & bloat.

currently running XP slimmed down with XPlite & litestep 0.24.7.

Should I get win XP x64 or install win2k3 x86 (I have an eval. copy)?

There has been many, MANY threads about this already, or x86/x64 discussions and such... (like this particular thread, which has some good infos IMO). Either ways you left out most options I would have picked: no Vista, and no plain old XP SP2 x86. XP x64 can be a good pick if your hardware is all supported (see other thread I linked to for debate on this one).

I would guess or hope that the compatibility/3rd party software support for win XP x64 will improve over time, perhaps related to Vista uptake - is this a valid assumption?

64 bit software support will improve, but not necessarily because of Vista. It's getting adopted, but not very quickly. Regardless, it's the way of the future, it's really just a matter of time.

Will Vista 3rd-party software run well on win XP x64?

Well, software made especially for Vista? Yes and no. It depends if they want backwards compatibility or if they go with Vista-only features and such. Most Vista apps will still be 32 bit anyways, and would run under WOW64.

PS: I would prefer not to run Vista - not interested in eye-candy & bloat.

Why not buy it anyways? You're also allowed to run an older version of Windows using the license. So buy that, run XP instead for now if you want, and the day you want to upgrade (you can only stick with an old version of windows for so long realistically, lots of new and very good features too - not just eye candy), then you'll have it too.