Template Usage ?

uncledewey

I am trying to use a template, but am having trouble using the template. I want to open a text file and use a previously established template which has paper size, borders, fonts and formating. I have tried inserting a template or just open a template. When I open a template and copy paste to my template file I lose all my settings. I just don't know how to get the template and the text document together!!

Any guidance would be great. Uncle Dewey

Your question is hard to follow. But I think I know what you're trying to ask. To make a customized template, first delete your Normal.dot in "C:\documents and settings\[Your username]\Application Data\Microsoft\Templates\Normal.dot"

Then, open Word. Configure everything you want to the way you want it (fonts, paper size, margins, etc). Don't type anything in. Then, do Save As. Choose a document template. Call it Normal.dot. Save that Normal.dot in "C:\documents and settings\[Your username]\Application Data\Microsoft\Templates\"

Next time you open word, you'll have the settings the way you want them.

Hi,

I am satisfied with my normal settings. But my problem is when I want to change for a specific document. How do I change from the normal document to my special document. I have given it a name, but don't know how to make it my current format until the next time I open Word. While in the special format paste in my ascii text document, but the formating disappears.

Thanks for your interest. Uncle Dewey